Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hang Vuthy points to terminal disease in asking for release



Hang Vuthy points to terminal disease in asking for release

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Hang Vuthy is detained by police after years on the run following his escape from prison in 2006. Photo supplied

Hang Vuthy points to terminal disease in asking for release

Wheelchair-bound and allegedly suffering from liver cancer, Hang Vuthy, also known as Yuma Reach, denied in the Appeal Court on Monday that he assassinated Military Police commander Sao Sokha.

Vuthy was sentenced in the lower court to 15 years in prison for the murder.

Yun Narong, the presiding judge, read facts stating that the case began after an anonymous letter in January 2003 detailing a conspiracy to kill Sokha along with Phnom Penh Municipal Court judges Sok Setha Mony and Ouk Savuth.

On April 23 of that year, Vuthy allegedly shot Setha Mony dead while he stopped at a traffic light in the capital.

While investigating the murder, Vuthy, 49, was arrested along with Ly Rasy, 45; Hang Vutha, 43; Prom Sophearith, 41; and former capital police chief Heng Pov, 57.

Prison escape

In April 2015, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court sentenced each of the suspects to a 15-year term. However, Vuthy was absent that day as he had escaped prison in June 2006.

“I did not commit the crime because before the incident happened, I was a military police officer and a subordinate of Sao Sokha. Please release me because I have a terrible disease,” Vuthy said from his wheelchair on Monday.

Prosecutor Im Sophan said Vuthy had been denying the charges against him since his case was presented in the lower court.

Concurring, Sam Sorith, Vuthy’s defence lawyer said, “[Vuthy] did not commit the crime and there is no evidence proving so ... I would like to ask the court to release my client because he is fatally ill.”

The verdict in the case will be declared on August 13.

Outside the courtroom, Sun Sophorn, 38, who is Vuthy’s sister, said her brother has been told by doctors in the capital that he has liver cancer and requires care.

“Doctors say he will not live long, so before he dies, I ask the court to free him so that he will know he has been released before he dies,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could