Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Health Ministry pledges new care for returning migrants

Health Ministry pledges new care for returning migrants

A woman who formerly worked as a maid in Malaysia is chained up in Kampong Cham last year.
A woman who formerly worked as a maid in Malaysia is chained up in Kampong Cham last year. Heng Chivoan

Health Ministry pledges new care for returning migrants

Health Minister Mam Bunheng pledged to cooperate with the International Organization for Migration to take care of the healthcare and mental illness needs of returning migrant workers during a meeting in Phnom Penh on Tuesday.

IOM regional migration health manager Maria Nanette Motus had requested the ministry’s assistance at the meet, noting that the issues had traditionally been dealt with by the IOM.

Repatriated migrant workers often face dire mental health issues upon their return to Cambodia, with little to no state assistance.

Some former maids repatriated from Malaysia suffer from such severe trauma that they are chained up by their own families.

“The ministry promises to cooperate with the IOM to take care of the health and mental illness of migrants who were saved from abroad,” Bunheng said during the meeting, according to a transcript provided by his secretary.

Details of what that cooperation would entail were not available yesterday. Neither the Health Ministry nor the IOM responded to requests for comment about the meeting.

Tim Sovanna, mother of former maid Moa Rithy, said her family had spent almost $5,000 since Rithy’s return from Malaysia in 2012 paying the costs of her numerous mental issues.

“Now she is a bit better. But I never let her go anywhere because I am afraid of losing her again,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will