Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hearing set for RFA reporters

Hearing set for RFA reporters

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The Appeal Court is set to hear the case of former Radio Free Asia (RFA) reporters Oun Chhin and Yeang Sothearin (centre) on June 21. Heng Chivoan

Hearing set for RFA reporters

The Appeal Court is set to hear the case of former Radio Free Asia (RFA) reporters Oun Chhin and Yeang Sothearin, also known as Sochea Meta, on June 21, on a charge of “Provision of Information Undermining National Defence to a Foreign State”.

“We invite Sam Chamroeun, the defence lawyer of Oun Chhin and Yeang Sothearin, to attend a hearing in connection with the charge,” court clerk Say Sok Hoeung said in a letter dated June 16.

Former RFA reporter Sothearin told The Post on Tuesday that the Appeal Court will hear two cases – one of which is their request to stop placing them under court supervision, while the other concerns their request to regain all materials confiscated by the court.

Both Sothearin and Chhin said the requests are made to enable them to find a job to support themselves as well as an opportunity to study abroad.

“I think if the court understands our actual situation, they should drop the supervision. If they want to pursue their investigation, it is up to them and we will continue to cooperate with the court at all time. We will appear whenever they need us to,” Sothearin said.

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Yeang Sothearin speaks to reporters after being released on bail last year. Heng Chivoan

Defence lawyer Chamroeun said he will attend the hearing to seek freedom from court supervision for the duo.

“I will try to help them regain full freedom. I also urge the court to reverse or drop the charge against my clients because they currently face difficulties earning a livelihood,” he said.

Earlier this month, the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention said Chhin and Sothearin have been deprived of their liberty through court supervision without a trial and urged the government and court to release the pair unconditionally.

The UN working group said the two were detained without a trial for nine months and seven days before being released on bail under court supervision on August 21 last year.

The group said the pair should instead be entitled to compensation and other reparations, and urged the court to revise Article 445 of the Criminal Code concerning the “Provision of Information Undermining National Defence to a Foreign State” so that it complies with Cambodia’s human rights obligations.

Chhin and Sothearin were arrested in November 2017 and were charged under Article 445 of the Criminal Code.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministry requests school opening

    The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on Thursday said it would request a decision from Prime Minister Hun Sen to allow a small number of schools to reopen next month. Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha said if the request is granted, higher-standard schools will reopen

  • Kingdom eyes India FTA, China deal set for August

    Cambodia is studying the possibility of establishing a bilateral free trade agreement (FTA) with India to open a new market with the second-largest regional economy. This comes as an FTA with China is scheduled to be signed next month while similar negotiations with South Korea

  • Judge lands in court after crashing into alleged thief

    Sen Sok district police on Thursday sent a Koh Kong Provincial Court judge to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on manslaughter charges after he crashed his car into a woman riding a motorbike on Wednesday, killing her. District police chief Hour Meng Vang told The

  • Preah Vihear court drops charges against villagers

    The Preah Vihear Provincial Court has dropped all charges against eight ethnic Kuoy villagers who were in a land dispute with the Hengfu Group Sugar Industry Co Ltd since 2014. Wednesday’s decision was made by the judge who tried the case on June 10. The eight

  • Gov’t to boost Siem Reap tourism

    The Ministry of Tourism released the results of an inter-ministerial committee meeting concerning Siem Reap province’s Tourism Development Master Plan for 2020-2035 on Wednesday, revealing the government’s plan to improve the overall tourist landscape there. The meeting was attended by Minister of Tourism

  • Residents ordered to remove structures on Phnom Penh’s canal

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng has ordered authorities to act against the perpetrators who built houses along the Luo 5 canal in Meanchey district. The municipal administration plans to create a committee to solve the matter. The order was given on Wednesday while Sreng led

  • ‘On the offensive’: Cambodia to load up on loans to stimulate economy

    As the dust settles on the economy, Cambodia comes to grips with what needs to be done to turn the economy around, starting with a big shopping list for credit ‘We are going on the offensive,” Vongsey Vissoth, Ministry of Economy and Finance permanent secretary

  • Eighty replacement peacekeepers set for Mali mission despite Covid

    Eighty Cambodian blue helmet soldiers who completed the peacekeeping mission under the UN umbrella in Mali will return to Cambodia on Friday, said the Centre for Peacekeeping Forces spokeswoman Kosal Malida. “To protect their families and communities from the Covid-19 pandemic, the 80 are required to

  • Government set to make up for cancelled April holiday

    The government is set to make up for a five-day Khmer New Year holiday late this month or early next month. The holiday was earlier cancelled due to the onset of Covid-19. The announcement is expected on Friday as the government is studying a range

  • Families told to register for cash handouts

    The government has called on poor families to apply to commune authorities for evaluation to receive financial support during the Covid-19 crisis. A $300 million budget has been planned for implementation within a year. Ministry of Economy and Finance secretary of state Vongsey Visoth said this