Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Heavy storms on the way, gov’t warns

Heavy storms on the way, gov’t warns

People drive through the rain in Phnom Penh yesterday. More wet weather is on the way, the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology has warned.
People drive through the rain in Phnom Penh yesterday. More wet weather is on the way, the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology has warned. Pha Lina

Heavy storms on the way, gov’t warns

Heavy rains, lightning and strong winds are predicted nationwide from tomorrow through Tuesday, with possible flooding in lowland areas, according to a broadcast from the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology.

The weather is the result of a low-pressure pattern caused by Typhoon Nepartak in the Pacific Ocean southeast of the Philippines. The alert did not indicate how much rain might fall or the potential wind velocity, but the storm is moving at about 18 kph. The announcement appealed to people to be cautious – particularly tourists and fishermen.

According to the National Committee for Disaster Management, 71 people have died, 202 have been injured, and 47 cattle have perished due to storms the first six months of this year. In addition, storms have damaged 7,353 houses, with 1,325 of those being completely destroyed.

Keo Vy, spokesman of the National Committee for Disaster Management, told the Post that the numbers have increased a bit compared to the same period last year.

“However, at the moment, we are not worried. Water in reservoirs and lakes is still low . . . and some areas are faced with water shortages,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • Some jobs off limits to foreigners from August

    Beginning from the second week of August, foreigners will be banned from driving taxis and tuk-tuks, as well as being motorcycle delivery drivers, street food vendors, hairdressers and product distributors among other lower-income jobs. Some white-collar jobs such as the head of human resources will