Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - High Court orders release of 8 VN logging suspects



High Court orders release of 8 VN logging suspects

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Vietnamese loggers were arrested last year. Supplied

High Court orders release of 8 VN logging suspects

The Supreme Court on Wednesday ordered the Mondulkiri provincial authority to release on bail eight Vietnamese nationals who have been imprisoned for more than six months over an illegal timber trade.

At an hour-long trial in absentia, the Supreme Court ordered the eight Vietnamese to post bail of 30 million riel ($7,500). If convicted, each will receive a five-year prison sentence and a fine of 10 million riel ($2,500) under Article 98 of the Forestry Law.

The eight have been put in pretrial detention since January 13, in excess of the legal maximum of six months for a misdemeanour case, said Presiding Judge Soeng Panhavuth.

“Therefore, the Supreme Court decides to overturn the Appeal Court’s verdict and release the eight men on bail,” he said.

The court also withheld their passports and ordered the accused to present themselves at the local police station once a month.

Defence lawyer Kao Sopheaktra said his clients entered the Kingdom legally and were employed by Duong Sruoch Group, a company that had obtained a land concession for agricultural development in the province.

“My clients hadn’t committed any crimes so the Supreme Court should free them because they have already promised to deposit 30 million riel as well as their passports,” he said during the trial.

The provincial authority said the eight Vietnamese men were arrested on January 10 at the Sre Pok Wildlife Sanctuary in Mondulkiri province’s Pech Chreada district.

They had allegedly logged thousands of trees and used vehicles under Duong Sruoch Group’s logo to transport the wood.

During a raid, the authorities discovered seven huge piles of trimmed timber amounting to some 1,000 cubic metres, in the forest.

The provincial investigating judge charged them with illegal forestry trading, but the accused appealed to the higher court, which upheld the verdict.

Kreung Tola, a member of the provincial ethnic community Network, called the release an injustice.

“If the court reduces punishment or releases them, it will encourage the perpetrators to repeat the offences. If they are found guilty, they should be punished in accordance with the laws. That would motivate forest protectors to continue their work,” he said.

Forest activists devote their own time and money, and also face death threats when carrying out their work, he added.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could