Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - High Court to rule in pedo case

High Court to rule in pedo case

Convicted British pedophile Michael Glyn Jones leaves the Phnom Penh Supreme Court yesterday after a hearing.
Convicted British pedophile Michael Glyn Jones leaves the Phnom Penh Supreme Court yesterday after a hearing. Kim Sarom

High Court to rule in pedo case

Prosecutor Uk Kimsith yesterday called for the Supreme Court to overturn a reduction in sentence handed to convicted British pedophile Michael Glyn Jones last September.

Jones was arrested in mid-2014 and charged with sexually abusing four Cambodian girls aged 6 to 11, procuring child prostitutes and indecent acts against a minor.

Found guilty last April, he was sentenced to eight years in prison and ordered to pay each victim about $2,000. Five months later, the Appeal Court reduced his sentence to five years after ruling that while he had touched the girls inappropriately, he had not had sex with them.

Prosecutor Uk Kimsith and victims’ advocate Sorn Sony yesterday requested that the original sentence be reinstated.

“Based on the evidence and testimonies from the girls, he did commit the crime,” Kimsith said. “I would like the court to uphold his conviction.”

Jones’s lawyer, Lim Vouchnea, was dismissive of the request, contending that a doctor’s note found the girls to be virgins and that “procuring prostitutes means buying houses or diamonds . . . but he only bought them food”.

A verdict is due August 10.

MOST VIEWED

  • Archeologists find ancient phallic statue

    An archeological team has found a metre-long tipless stone linga (penis) of the Hindu deity Shiva in the foundations of a temple in Kratie province’s historical Samphu Borak area, a former capital of the pre-Angkor Empire Chenla period. Thuy Chanthourn, the deputy director of

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police