Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hit and run driver who killed three sentenced

Hit and run driver who killed three sentenced

Hit-and-run suspect Meas Sokheng (right) walks into the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Photo supplied
Meas Sokheng (right), who killed three people in a hit-and-run last year, walks into the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Photo supplied

Hit and run driver who killed three sentenced

A man who killed three people in a hit-and-run crash last March – and then was beaten into a coma by a mob – was sentenced to three years in prison yesterday.

Phnom Penh Municipal Court Judge Nou Veasna also ordered Meas Sokheng, 30, to pay a $2,500 fine and $40,000 to the families of the three dead and one of the injured.

Three years is the maximum sentence for Sokheng’s charges, although Veasna suspended one year of the sentence. Sokheng has already spent 10 months in prison.

Sokheng was charged last year with “careless driving” after he tried to flee a minor collision and knocked over several motorcyclists as he sped the wrong way up Monivong Boulevard, killing a family of three and injuring eight more.

A mob, captured on video, quickly caught up to and brutally beat Sokheng into a coma and tried to set his car on fire.

At his trial in December, Sokheng appeared to have cognitive difficulties and was unable to recall even basic information such as his date of birth and where he lives. At the time, his lawyer asked the court to be lenient given his mental state, although neither side submitted a medical report.

Sokheng did not speak at his sentencing hearing yesterday, although he was heard later asking police to explain his sentence to him.

MOST VIEWED

  • Purging Sihanoukville’s past with a new masterplan

    Amid illicit activities, haphazard development and abandoned projects, the coastal city of Sihanouk province needs a reset to move forward. A new masterplan might be the answer to shake off its seemingly mucky image to become the Shenzhen of the south Gun toting, shootouts, police

  • WHO: Covid in Cambodia goes into new phase

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia said that Cambodia has reached a new phase of the pandemic with “decreasing case numbers, high vaccination coverage and a more transmissible circulating variant threatening a hidden surge”. In a press release on September 6, the WHO said that

  • Chinese may be first in tourism revival: PM

    Cambodia's tourism industry is gearing up to roll out the red carpet for Chinese travellers after Prime Minister Hun Sen on September 17 indicated that the Kingdom could soon throw open its doors to international holidaymakers vaccinated against Covid-19 – starting with guests from China. Cambodia Chinese

  • 'Pursue your goals, reach out to me': Young diplomat tapped as envoy to South Korea

    Chring Botum Rangsay was a secretary of state at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation before being designated as the new Cambodian ambassador to South Korea. According to her official CV published on the foreign ministry’s website, she started her first government

  • Tourism concerns laid bare

    To ensure the success of plans to reopen the tourism market for international visitors, Cambodia must pay utmost attention to two primary determinants – the ongoing paradigm shift in domestic tourism services towards the ‘new normal’, and the factors influencing choices of destinations among foreign holidaymakers.

  • Covid jab drive for 6-11 age group to begin Sept 17

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has permitted Covid-19 vaccinations for over 1.8 million children aged 6-11 across the country from September 17 in order for them to return to school after a long hiatus. Hun Sen also hinted that vaccinations for the 3-6 age group will follow in