Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Homes torched in wildlife sanctuary

Homes torched in wildlife sanctuary

Homes torched in wildlife sanctuary

Government officials and armed police burnt down 25 homes in Oddar Meanchey province’s Anlong Veng district yesterday claiming they were in the protected Kulen Prumtep Wildlife Sanctuary, villagers and a rights group investigator said yesterday.

The houses, which are part of larger community of about 150 homes in Anlong Veng commune’s O’Ampil village, were burnt down by a joint committee of officials from the Ministry of Environment, police and the army, resident Chhorm Chhoeun said.

He said the land had been sold to the families by an official from the ministry named Ry Heng who had charged between US$1,000 and $1,500 for the 30 by 200 metre plots and said nothing about the area being protected.

“Early in the morning soldiers, police and environment officers came to burn down the villagers’ homes without telling us anything. They just poured petrol on the homes and burned them,” he said.

“We were so surprised when we saw the homes were on fire that some of us did not take any of our possessions in time. Everything was destroyed in the fire.”

Villager Loeum Pheay said armed police and soldiers lead by the director of Kulen Prumtep sanctuary, Kheng Socheat, had threatened to arrest anyone who attempted to obstruct them.

“We are not afraid. We carried knives to protect ourselves because we bought that land from them,” she said.  

“Why did they come to burn down our homes and accuse us of living in a protected area? We will still live there even though we don’t have homes because we don’t have anywhere else to go,” Loeum Pheay added.

Kheng Socheat denied setting any homes alight yesterday, claiming his officers had merely attempted to tear their cottages down but had been repelled by knife-wielding villagers.

He dismissed the villagers’ claim that Ry Heng had sold them the land as an unfounded reaction to authorities arresting six members of their community.

Srey Naren, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said burning down homes was not a good approach for environmental officers to take.

“Authorities should choose a peaceful way to talk with villagers. That’s better than using violence,” he said.

In May last year, more than 100 houses were burnt down in the same village by provincial authorities who also accused the home owners of settling on protected land.

MOST VIEWED

  • Ethnic group ‘disappointed’ to be denied French visas to attend court

    Eleven people at the centre of a case involving seven indigenous Bunong villages in Mondulkiri province pursuing legal action in France have expressed disappointment after the French embassy in Phnom Penh denied their visa applications to attend court. A press release said the 11 included a

  • Cambodia nabs 12th place in best retirement destinations

    Cambodia is an expatriate hotspot for those dreaming of living a more luxurious lifestyle at an affordable cost, according to International Living’s Annual Global Retirement Index 2019. For the fourth year in a row, Cambodia took the top spot in the Cost of Living category.

  • EU starts EBA withdrawal

    The EU on Monday announced that it has begun the 18-month process of withdrawing the Kingdom’s access to its preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) agreement over “a deterioration of democracy [and] respect for human rights”. However, the Garment Manufacturers Association of Cambodia (GMAC) said

  • PM: War result of foreign meddling

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Sunday that Cambodia’s recent history of conflict was caused by foreign interference. “The wars that happened were caused by provocation, incitement, support, smearing and interference from foreign powers, and the group of ignorant people who pushed Cambodia to