Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - House collapse at Boeung Kak lake injures resident

House collapse at Boeung Kak lake injures resident

House collapse at Boeung Kak lake injures resident

081201_03.jpg
081201_03.jpg

Owner claims that stepped-up reclamation efforts after a hiatus during Water Festival are to blame for the loss of her home

Photo by:
Heng Chivoan

A Boeung Kak lake resident shows his displeasure at the view of the newly filled-in section of the lake.

A BOEUNG Kak lake resident was sleeping when part of her house collapsed into the water Wednesday evening, a result, she said, of the quickening pace of reclamation at the lake following a hiatus during the annual Water Festival.

Hok Lang, the 46-year-old mother of five who lost her home, said she has been worried since sand-dredging company HSC began working late into the night, filling in the lake to prepare a controversial 133-hectare development.

"No one was injured except my mother, but some belongings like tables, chairs, wardrobes, were lost in the lake," she said of her family's 6.5-metre-by-3.8-metre wooden house, where over ten people live.

"We are now living under the shelter of another resident's home." Hok Lang's 25-year-old daughter, Sun Ratanak, said her mother filed a complaint on Thursday at the local commune office informing them of the damage.  

Human rights monitors assisting the family said that their rights of access to information were violated when local police turned them away.

Chea Nara, a monitor with local rights group Licadho, said that two foreign staff approached the scene but were prohibited from taking photographs of the collapsed house by a dozen police officers stationed nearby.

"We are not allowed to visit them. The police said this place is under the authorities' control, so before visiting we have to ask permission from the municipal governor," he said. "They violated our rights of access to information, but we were just fulfilling our duty as an independent organisation."

An HSC official said the sand-filling operation had stopped temporarily on the Thursday morning after the incident but disavowed any responsibility for the house's collapse.

"It is not our responsibility. Developer Shukaku Inc and the authorities will be responsible for the damage," he said, adding that they are in the process of solving the problem with Hok Lang.

Hok Lang said Sunday that she met with Srah Chak commune and Daun Penh district officials Thursday and Friday to discuss compensation, and she was offered cash or housing at a relocation site.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia-Thailand rail reconnected after 45 years

    A railway reconnecting Cambodia and Thailand was officially inaugurated on Monday following a 45-year hiatus, with the two kingdoms’ prime ministers in attendance at the ceremony. On the occasion, Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha travelled together from Thailand’s

  • Thousands attend CNRP-organised pro-democracy vigil in South Korea

    Thousands of supporters of the Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) on Saturday gathered in the South Korean city of Gwangju to hold a candlelight demonstration calling for the “liberation” of democracy in Cambodia. Yim Sinorn, a CNRP member in South Korea, said on

  • US Embassy: Chinese trade does not help like the West’s

    The US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Friday said relations between China and Cambodia did not create jobs or help industry when compared to the trade between the Kingdom and the US. “About 87 per cent of trade [with China] are Chinese imports, which do not

  • New airport study set for 2019

    A feasibility study on the construction of a new airport in the Kingdom will be launched later this year, according to a Ministry of Tourism spokesman on Monday. The plan was approved last week in a meeting held by the Ministry of Economy and Finance