Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - House fire kills four in Sen Sok

House fire kills four in Sen Sok

A portrait of a family, that was killed by a fire, sits on rubble at the burnt out remains of their house in Sen Sok district yesterday.
A portrait of a family, that was killed by a fire, sits on rubble at the burnt out remains of their house in Sen Sok district yesterday. Heng Chivoan

House fire kills four in Sen Sok

A family of four was killed after a fire engulfed their house in the early hours of yesterday morning in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district, with initial reports suggesting it was caused by an electrical fault.

Local authorities said the blaze in Phnom Penh Thmey commune’s Chres village began at about 4am, killing Kem Chanroth, 36, and his wife, Sem Sophal, 36, as well as their two daughters Kem Channary, 10, and Kem Suorsey, 3. Chanroth worked locally as a vendor selling assorted goods including petrol, beverages and ice, while Sophal was a teacher.

According to Sophal’s sister, Sem Sopha, the family died together.

“After the authorities extinguished the fire, I saw the bodies of my sister, her husband and their children hugging each other,” she said yesterday at the scene.

The fire also affected two neighbouring homes, though nobody else was reported injured.

The sister, who lives next door in one of the affected homes, said she was woken at about 4:15am to the sound of screams but thought it was a robbery occurring elsewhere. She said she did not get up or check on her sister’s home because she believed she was staying with the children at their father’s house 600 metres away, and she thought Chanroth was in another part of the city.

“Then I saw the flames right behind my house,” she said. “When I opened the door and came outside, the fire had already burned my sister’s house down.”

While onlookers at the scene yesterday speculated the incident could have been murder or a revenge attack, the other neighbour whose house was affected, Muth Makara, 34, said the family had no enemies and was convinced it was just a tragic accident.

“They were good people, and helpful, and they were loved by all the villagers,” she said.

However, nobody could explain why the family had been unable to escape the blaze, given the upper part of the house where the family was sleeping was made of wood that should have been easily broken down, and the house abuts unused land that would have offered them safety from the flames.

The police investigation remains ongoing to establish the exact circumstances of the fire. A funeral service was held for the family in Chres village yesterday evening.

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not