Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - HR groups report more murders



HR groups report more murders

HR groups report more murders

T HE bodies of several Funcinpec soldiers have been unearthed, adding to the total

of about 40 suspected murders of military or political figures in recent weeks.

It is difficult to be sure whether the killings represent a coordinated decapitation

of Funcinpec's hard-line military leadership or an opportunity for individuals to

settle old scores, human rights workers say.

UN Center for Human Rights (UNCHR) investigators have uncovered the bodies of three

Funcinpec soldiers in shallow graves in the past month. They indicated that in some

cases there were signs of torture before execution.

On July 31, the body of a royalist soldier was dug up about 100 meters from a Phnom

Penh detention camp. "We came here, we found a fresh grave, we have dug up the

grave and found this person," Balaskrishnan Rajagopal of the UNCHR said. "We

found a rope around his neck. This is a clear sign of death by strangulation. As

to why - we don't know."

Two other bodies had been found in the previous week in shallow graves 100km southwest

of the capital. The men - feared by UNCHR to be Ranariddh supporters - were reportedly

bound, blindfolded and shot.

Hun Sen's government has admitted that one senior Funcinpec official, Interior Ministry

secretary of state Ho Sok, was killed in custody by unspecified "angry"

people.

Several other military chiefs including Generals Chao Sambath, Ly Seng Hong and Kroch

Yoeum are known to have been killed. Human rights workers have said they are investigating

about 40 suspected extra-judicial killings.

Meanwhile, a recent wave of arrests of Funcinpec officials has led to widespread

speculation that the crackdown on crime is politically motivated.

"If you look at cases of weapons violation arrests, alleged kidnappers being

detained and robbers being shot - we find that they are nearly all Funcinpec when

we investigate," says a human-rights worker. "Eyewitnesses generally have

a different account of events from what appear in the Khmer press."

"There are classic signs of a campaign to decapitate the remaining opposition

and to coerce its followers into submission," says another human-rights worker.

"The CPP has dealt a swift, decisive blow to their military opponents and are

now targeting political figures through the judicial system."

At a CPP meeting in Pursat during the first week of August, provincial, district

and commune authorities were given instructions on how to control "anarchic

forces" and maintain political stability, according to human rights and other

NGO workers.

"We must take precautions against those saying that Vietnam is supporting Hun

Sen. Those who say these things must be arrested," party officials were reported

as saying. "We must also supervise the work of human-rights organizations. If

they interfere in our affairs, they must be closed immediately."

NGO workers say that copies of the "White Paper" - a document produced

to justify the CPP attack on Funcinpec forces on July 5-6 - are being distributed

widely and that a senior Pursat civilian official has instructed district and commune

leaders to tell people "not to listen to the Voice of America, because it can

confuse them."

Second Prime Minister Hun Sen has consistently denied reports that he or his men

have hindered human-rights investigators.

"I allow Red Cross and human rights [workers]. If they come anywhere they can

see, they can go. I allow." He has accused the UN Center for Human Rights of

frightening opposition Members of Parliament into fleeing the country.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year