Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Hun Manet’ deceiver gets five years



‘Hun Manet’ deceiver gets five years

Ngun Satya (second from right), who was arrested last year for pretending to be a two-star general, is escorted by officials after his hearing in July at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Photo supplied
Ngun Satya (second from right), who was arrested last year for pretending to be a two-star general, is escorted by officials after his hearing in July at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. Photo supplied

‘Hun Manet’ deceiver gets five years

A 40-year-old soldier who pretended to be a major general in a “Special Intelligence Unit” headed by Prime Minister Hun Sen’s son in order to take $17,000 in bribes from “recruits” was sentenced to five years in jail yesterday.

Nguon Seng Satya, who was actually a major, was found guilty by Judge Svay Tonh on a slew of charges.

“The court sentences the accused, Nguon Seng Satya, alias Toch Seng, aged 40, to five years in prison and a fine of 6 million riel [about $1,500] for fraud, possessing and transporting a gun without permission, forging public documents and using uniforms similar to that of the police and military,” Judge Tonh said. “The court will allow the accused to file an appeal as allowed by the law.”

Seng Satya met “recruits” for the imaginary unit – which he claimed was headed by Lieutenant General Hun Manet – at a restaurant near the Defence Ministry last year, and received up to $3,000 from each for positions.

Seng Satya did not appear in court for his sentencing, and his lawyer, Sam Sokong, could not be reached. Manet did not respond to request for comment.

MOST VIEWED

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia to make auto-rickshaws

    Locally-assembled electric auto-rickshaws could hit the Cambodian market as soon as early in May after the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC) gave the greenlight to an investment project at the weekend. According to a CDC press release, it will issue a final registration