Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hun Manet pulls out of California event following local backlash

Hun Manet pulls out of California event following local backlash

Hun Manet, Prime Minister Hun Sen's eldest son, pictured at an event in 2014.
Hun Manet, Prime Minister Hun Sen's eldest son, pictured at an event in 2014. Hong Menea

Hun Manet pulls out of California event following local backlash

The prime minister’s eldest son, Hun Manet, has announced he will not attend a Khmer New Year parade in California as planned to avoid potential clashes, following an angry backlash from Cambodians living in the US who oppose his father’s regime.

In a Facebook post yesterday, Manet said he would still visit the US and attend other Khmer New Year events, but would not attend the parade in Long Beach on April 10 to avoid potential violence, with protests planned to coincide with his visit.

“As a conscientious child of Cambodia, I don’t want to see turbid feelings and division between Khmer and Khmer and, particularly, I want to avoid any possible violence … during the parade that would damage the interests of the nation; [therefore] my team and I decided not to attend the parade,” Manet wrote.

“It is not time to show muscles against each other, which shows divisions among Khmers.”

Manet’s planned attendance as the guest of honour at the annual event stirred strong feelings for many in Long Beach, home of a large Cambodian population, many of whom are fervently anti-government and anti-Hun Sen.

Several local city Councillors had vowed to boycott the parade after roughly 200 protesters descended on a Long Beach City Hall meeting last week to express their outrage.

The Cambodian-American Alliance (CAA), a group of Khmer-Americans, has led the charge against the visit, something Manet noted, naming the group’s president Touch Vibol as one of the individuals who campaigned against his invitation by the Cambodian Coordinating Council, another group of Khmer-Americans.

The CAA, unreachable yesterday, have vowed to stage protests in Massachusetts and Washington state, where Manet will also visit.

Manet is head of the Cambodian People’s Party’s Overseas Youth Working Group and travels frequently in a bid to win over the traditionally pro-opposition diaspora.

Yesterday, political analyst Chea Vannath said that given protests against Hun Sen’s attendance at the February US-ASEAN summit in California, there would be little surprise among the CPP about the backlash to Manet’s plans.

“The Cambodian-American community is a very hot potato . . . He’s maybe trying to test the water . . . trying to make a new start with Cambodians overseas as an ambassador of goodwill,” Vannath said.

Political observer Ok Serei Sopheak, meanwhile, said Manet’s avoidance of the parade showed “political maturity”.

“Although any eventual clash would not come from him, nevertheless, if he participates, all the critics would come down against him . . . It would be like putting gasoline on the fire,” Sopheak said. “If there are clashes, nobody wins but the whole of Cambodia loses.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Hong Kong firm done buying Coke Cambodia

    Swire Coca-Cola Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hong Kong-listed Swire Pacific Ltd, on November 25 announced that it had completed the acquisition of The Coca-Cola Co’s bottling business in Cambodia, as part of its ambitions to expand into the Southeast Asian market. Swire Coca-Cola affirmed

  • Cambodia's Bokator now officially in World Heritage List

    UNESCO has officially inscribed Cambodia’s “Kun Lbokator”, commonly known as Bokator, on the World Heritage List, according to Minister of Culture and Fine Arts Phoeurng Sackona in her brief report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on the night of November 29. Her report, which was

  • NagaWorld union leader arrested at airport after Australia trip

    Chhim Sithar, head of the Labour Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees at NagaWorld integrated casino resort, was arrested on November 26 at Phnom Penh International Airport and placed in pre-trial detention after returning from a 12-day trip to Australia. Phnom Penh Municipal Court Investigating Judge

  • Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

    The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources. In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen

  • Two senior GDP officials defect to CPP

    Two senior officials of the Grassroots Democratic Party (GDP) have asked to join the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), after apparently failing to forge a political alliance in the run-up to the 2023 general election. Yang Saing Koma, chairman of the GDP board, and Lek Sothear,

  • 11th Chaktomuk Short Film Festival draws to close

    Cambodia's 11th Chaktomuk Short Film Festival wrapped up successfully on November 28 after a four-day run, with the film “Voice of the Night” awarded top prize for 2022. Sum Sithen, the organiser of the short film festival, told The Post that the number of attendees to the