Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hun Sen defends new Consultation Forum

Hun Sen defends new Consultation Forum

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Leader of the Cambodian Youth Party Pich Sros (centre) takes part in the inaugural meeting of the Consultation Forum earlier this week. Heng Chivoan

Hun Sen defends new Consultation Forum

Prime Minister-designate Hun Sen on Thursday defended his establishment of the Consultation Forum, saying it gives opposition parties an opportunity to contribute to nation-building.

Speaking to over 17,000 garment workers in Kandal province, the Cambodian People’s Party leader was responding to criticisms from some members of the forum by saying that it gave more people a say on the national budget and draft laws.

“They say that Cambodia has stepped into single-party rule ... I would like to take this chance to confirm to the people, NGOs, and political parties, that the single-party situation in the National Assembly began at a multi-party election. We cannot reject that,” he said.

Hun Sen said the forum was being supported by opposition political party members who were offered positions as advisers.

He continued that the first item on the table for the forum would be the 2019 national budget, which would be forwarded on to the Council of Ministers before going to the National Assembly and the Senate by early December.

Hun Sen said that many of the Consultation Forum members didn’t have enough experience with the national budget, so the MEF had arranged a presentation as a crash course.

However, Ou Chanroth a former opposition lawmaker claimed that the forum would not benefit the nation or its people.

“More institutions cannot bring more benefits. It gives the government a big head. It is just a rubber-stamp institution, doing nothing and providing no advantages.

“The CPP has already declared that no one can urge Hun Sen to implement another party’s policies as he has his party’s policies already.

“If he needs to use the opposition’s ideas or contrasting ideas, he should have considered the CNRP when it held 55 parliamentary seats and more than 10 senate seat,” Chanroth said.

MOST VIEWED

  • First deportees of the year touch down in Cambodia

    Twenty-five Cambodian-Americans landed in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, marking the first such deportations of the year. “On Wednesday, US law enforcement authorities deported 25 Cambodian nationals that immigration judges determined had no legal basis to remain in the US,” said Arend Zwartjes, spokesperson for the US

  • Qatar Airways to connect Doha and Siem Reap town

    Qatar Airways Company QCSC has announced a new route connecting Qatar’s capital Doha with Siem Reap, a move hailed by local officials as a significant step to boost tourist numbers. A Qatar Airways representative, speaking at the Kuwait Aviation Show, announced on Thursday that

  • Sokha defence denies Tech’s claims

    ON DAY two of Kem Sokha’s treason trial, lawyers for the government said the defence had raised questions in an attempt to allow their client to make a public statement and a conclusion to the case, something his legal team denied. Ky Tech, a

  • Cambodian general visits Myanmar to enhance national defence cooperation

    Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) commander-in-chief Vong Pisen is now in Myanmar leading a delegation that aims to improve ties, particularly in national defence, with the fellow Asean member. The timing of Pisen’s four-day visit to the Southeast Asian neighbour is highly symbolic, with

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Sokha’s treason trial begins

    The treason trial of Supreme Court-dissolved Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) president Kem Sokha began at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Wednesday with the presentation of a two-minute video clip. The footage, which was the basis of the charge against him, was dismissed by