Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hun Sen says no plans to recall workers in SK



Hun Sen says no plans to recall workers in SK

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Prime Minister Hun Sen speaks about Cambodian workers on the Korean Peninsula yesterday on Phnom Penh’s Koh Pich. Facebook

Hun Sen says no plans to recall workers in SK

Cambodia has no plans to evacuate its citizens from South Korea, where tensions have risen recently over North Korea’s nuclear weapon and ballistic missile development, Prime Minister Hun Sen said yesterday.

“If we bring back all of our workers after hearing of a minor problem, will we be able to request South Korea take our workers next time?” Hun Sen asked during a speech on Diamond Island, according to a Facebook post by Information Minister Khieu Kanharith, who quoted the premier.

About 53,000 Cambodians work in South Korea, according to the Kingdom’s envoy there, Long Dimanche, and Labour Ministry spokesman Heng Sour visited Seoul over the Khmer New Year holiday to reassure migrants that the government was monitoring the situation and had a “mechanism” to ensure their safety in the event of any conflict.

Tensions on the Korean Peninsula spiked last week as the secretive North Korean regime prepared to celebrate the anniversary of the birth of the nation’s founder, Kim Il-sung, and reports suggested his grandson and current leader Kim Jong-un would conduct another nuclear test.

No such test occurred, though North Korea did attempt to launch a ballistic missile, which exploded prematurely.

Contacted yesterday, Sour said he could not reveal the plans to aid workers, but added the government “strongly believed” that “peace would prevail on the Korean Peninsula”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants