Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hundreds of captives work on rebel road



Hundreds of captives work on rebel road

Hundreds of captives work on rebel road

K HMER ROUGE guerrillas are building roads from their Anlong Veng stronghold to six nearby districts in Siem Reap province, abducting hundreds of Cambodian villagers to work as road builders, according to Siem Reap Deputy Governor Hem Bunheng.

"The KR are doing this to undermine the government and make our villagers angry with the government," Bunheng said in a telephone interview with the Post on Nov14.

He added that the KR told villagers that the government had no capability to build roads and persuaded villagers in the areas to live with them.

"I won't let them continue to do this... I will take my villagers back," he said.

"Yesterday I sent my men to the place where the KR are using my villagers as their slaves to tell them about how to get back."

He said that night 130 people fled and returned to their village homes and that no-one was killed.

He said the KR were building a road from Anglong Veng to Varin district, about 75km north of Siem Reap.

About 309 people were forced to leave their villages by the rebel guerrillas from Oct 25, to build roads and carry ammunition for their planned dry season offensive, he said.

"I don't believe the KR could succeed in their operation... it is just a disturbance to my province," he said.

He said he did not attack the KR rebels "because we don't want any of our villagers to be killed."

He said on Oct 25, KR guerrillas from Anlong Veng divided into groups and made trips to Varin, Svay Leu, Banteay Srei, Chikreng, Kralanh, and Chongkal districts.

They said they needed 20 to 25 people from each village, and threatened if they did no cooperate their houses would be burnt down, he said.

On Nov 1, 42 people were kidnapped from Varin district and 67 houses were razed when their owners refused to go with them.

On Nov 4 150 people from Chikreng were forced to follow, and two days later another 180 people from Kralanh and 30 from Svay Leu.

Prior to that, seven people had been taken from Chongkal district, just 74 km from Siem Reap.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • PM asks India for vaccine help

    Prime Minister Hun Sen is seeking assistance from India for the provision of Covid-19 vaccines as the country has produced its own vaccine which is scheduled to be rolled out to more than 300 million Indians this year. The request was made during his meeting with

  • One million Chinese Covid-19 jabs to start rolling in from February

    The government has confirmed that Covid-19 vaccines from China are set to begin arriving in Cambodia by February. This came as the Ministry of Health recorded two imported cases of Covid-19 on January 18. While calling on people to remain vigilant against the pandemic, ministry spokeswoman