Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Hunt on for ‘general’ who hit singer

Hunt on for ‘general’ who hit singer

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A singer who was slapped by a three-star general gave an interview to a local media. Facebook

Hunt on for ‘general’ who hit singer

MINISTRY of National Defence spokesman General Chhum Socheat on Thursday said a search is underway for a man claiming to be a three-star general who allegedly slapped a female singer at Boeng Meas Restaurant on Wednesday night after she rejected his request to sleep with him.

“The army’s duty is to defend the country and its people, not to show contempt for or use violence against them,” General Socheat said, regarding the man’s actions as “immoral”.

The man’s identity is yet to be discovered, but ministry officials have the registration of the car carrying Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) plates that the man left the restaurant in after the assault, he said.

Chroy Changvar commune police chief Chan Bunthoeun said a complaint from the victim has been received and his officers are working with relevant authorities to bring the assailant to justice.

Bunthouen said the complaint names the victim as a 35-year-old singer from Prek Leap village in the capital’s Chroy Changvar district.

Before the incident, the suspect was drinking at the restaurant. At around 11pm, the man boasted that he was a three-star general and called the four singers including the victim, from the stage to dance for him.

“While dancing, the man talked with me and asked me to drink with him by promising to give me a $20 tip. I did not talk much with him."

“Then he asked me to sleep with him, but I replied that I sell only my voice, not my body. He then slapped me twice and rushed from the restaurant,” Bunthoeun quoted the victim as telling police.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.