Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Illegal phone shipment put on hold in Siem Reap

Illegal phone shipment put on hold in Siem Reap

Illegal phone shipment put on hold in Siem Reap

Three Korean nationals were caught by customs officials at Siem Reap International Airport on Saturday bringing in 471 smartphones, according to a customs official.

Kong Sophallakun, chief of Siem Reap airport’s customs office, said the three Koreans – identified as Kang Donghwa, Kim Namgyu and Kong Sang Moon – brought the phones in on two separate flights from Seoul and Busan but had not paid the customs duty.

The first seized batch contained 265 phones and the second had 206 phones – mostly Apple, LG and Samsung products.

“Now all the phones are being kept at the customs office in the airport and we are waiting for the owners to get the approval from the custom department in Phnom Penh [to hand over the phones],” he said.

Sophallakun said that after the trio paid a fine and got an approval letter from the Phnom Penh customs office, the phones would be given back to the three Korean nationals. However, if they failed to pay the fine, he said further action could be taken.

He added that this was the first customs bust at the airport in 2016, with a few similar cases being registered last year.

MOST VIEWED

  • Call for boycott of Angkor unacceptable

    Dear Editor, I wish to express my strong disagreement on the article published by Traveller for their website with the title Best places to go in 2020: 12 destinations you should avoid. Below is my opinion of the article. It is obviously free for the Traveller to

  • Ministry issues warning over coronavirus outbreak

    The Ministry of Health on Wednesday asked the public to be on “high alert” as a new virus wreaks havoc across Asia. However, no cases have been reported in the Kingdom thus far. The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has raised the alarm for its similarity to

  • Probe underway after wreckage of drone with Chinese characters found

    Air Force Command spokesman Prak Sokha said on Sunday that investigations are underway regarding the wreckage of a drone that was recovered in Koh Kong province’s Koh Sdech commune in Kiri Sakor district. The wreckage has been taken to the capital for further examination,

  • Gov’t slams UN rapporteurs over Sokha trial statement

    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation and the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Cambodia to the UN Office in Geneva deplored the statement of three UN special rapporteurs who claimed that Kem Sokha’s trial was “tainted” due to irregularities. The reaction

  • No power shortages next dry season, says energy minister

    Minister of Mines and Energy Suy Sem has assured the public that Cambodia will not suffer power shortages during the next dry season. Speaking on local TV on Tuesday, Sem projected a rise in power demand during 2020’s dry season – which starts in November and

  • Gov’t takes steps to lower logistics, transport costs

    With the threat of losing trade privileges in the EU drawing closer, the government is taking measures to reduce logistics and transportation costs to safeguard the Kingdom’s competitiveness. The EU is due to decide whether or not to withdraw the Kingdom’s trade privileges