Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Illegally built huts in Kampong Speu sanctuary to be removed by force



Illegally built huts in Kampong Speu sanctuary to be removed by force

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
More than 10 huts built in secret in the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary in Kampong Speu province will be removed by force after the owners ignored an ultimatum to take them down. Chea Hean

Illegally built huts in Kampong Speu sanctuary to be removed by force

More than 10 huts built in secret in the Phnom Oral Wildlife Sanctuary in Kampong Speu province will be removed by force after the owners ignored an ultimatum to take them down.

The sanctuary deputy head Hul Mara and environmental watchdog ACNCIPO director Chea Hean plan to send a joint force to remove the structures in Sre Ken village, in Oral district’s Trapaing Chor commune.

Mara said on Monday the offenders built them to encroach on more than 400ha of the sanctuary.

He said the huts were built near each other and owners cleared brushwood and logged timber to grab state land. Having cleared the area, they planted banana, cassava, mango, cashews, coconut trees and cash crops on the land.

“We gave them a 10-day ultimatum on August 14, but they have not taken down the huts. So, on Tuesday we will dismantle them with provincial and district police assistance and refer this case to the court,” Mara said.

Hean said on Monday he had been closely monitoring the situation.

He said he suspected powerful people of being behind the encroachment on land that is protected by a royal decree.

“They don’t use excavators to clear the forest, but they use machetes, axes and hoes to disguise themselves as residents who lack land. If they used the machinery to clear the forest, they would be seen as large-scale traders.

“We suspect there could be powerful people behind this. We will continue to investigate the case further,” Hean said.

A notice dated August 14 and seen by The Post on Monday said the encroachment is against the law as stipulated under Article 62 of the Law on Natural Protected Areas, which was promulgated by a royal decree dated February 15, 2008.

The notice further reads that any persons who violate the article will be punished as committing grade-4 natural resources offences, which carry a prison sentence of five to 10 years and a fine of up to 150 million riel ($36,700). Evidence will be seized as state property.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting