Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Illness strikes 92 in Poipet, leaves 10 hospitalised

Illness strikes 92 in Poipet, leaves 10 hospitalised

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Ninety-two villagers have fallen ill in a mysterious outbreak in Poipet town, Banteay Meanchey province. Photo supplied

Illness strikes 92 in Poipet, leaves 10 hospitalised

Ninety-two villagers have fallen ill in a mysterious outbreak in Poipet town, Banteay Meanchey provincial Department of Health director Le Chan Sangvat said on Tuesday. None of the cases are life-threatening, but 10 of the victims have been warded in hospital.

Chan Sangvat told The Post that all of them exhibited similar symptoms – fever, skin rashes, muscle aches and joint pains.

Emergency response and immunisation teams tended to the ill and continue to monitor their condition, he said.

Medical workers have drawn blood from all of them and are running tests for the mosquito-borne chikungunya virus, measles and rubella, he said.

The 92 have been briefed on personal hygiene, food safety and other disease prevention measures, he said. They all hail from Poipet commune’s Kbal Koh, Poipet and Prey Kub villages.

The medical personnel are also working to sanitise living environments in the vicinity of the outbreak and are taking additional measures to curb the Aedes aegypti mosquito population in target villages, he said.

“The provincial health department continues to make every effort to research and intervene in all health issues that could eventually arise in these localities, in cooperation with local authorities,” Chan Sangvat said.

He called on people with suspected health problems to seek treatment at health centres and referral hospitals.

Blood samples, he said, have been sent to Institut Pasteur du Cambodge, the National Institute of Public Health and the provincial health department.

Chan Sangvat said the public will be informed when the results of blood tests come back from the three institutions.

The Poipet Referral Hospital noted that six patients were warded on Sunday following calls from the medical teams, and four more on Monday after it sent a working group to follow up on the outbreak.

It said the patients were treated free of charge. “The senior leadership of the hospital and the team of doctors have paid great attention to saving, treating and taking care of the patients.

“All patients have shown improved conditions so far. No one appears to be at serious risk,” it said.

Provincial health department director Keo Sopheaktra told The Post on Tuesday that people exhibiting the telltale symptoms were told to maintain proper hygiene as rubella can be transmitted rather quickly via airborne droplets.

“The disease is not all that serious and is not transmitted by anything else. Once you contract rubella, it infects others quickly,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Education’ a priority traffic-law penalty

    A top National Police official on June 21 neither rejected nor confirmed the authenticity of a leaked audio message, which has gone viral on social media, on a waiver of fines for a number of road traffic-related offences. General Him Yan, deputy National Police chief in

  • Pursat Ford assembly plant opens

    The Kingdom’s first Ford assembly plant was inaugurated on June 16 in Pursat province amid rising demand for brand-new vehicles among Cambodians. The facility is seen as a game changer for the domestic automobile industry, which could bring a wave of investors seeking to cash

  • Siem Reap’s $18M zoo said to educate public, help wildlife

    Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium Co Ltd has invested $18 million in a zoo in Siem Reap province, which will be opened in October to educate and promote animal conservation as well as attract national and international tourists. Currently, the Angkor Wildlife and Aquarium is building the

  • Volunteer scheme to foster ‘virtuous’ humanitarian spirit

    A senior education official said volunteer work contributes to solidarity and promotes a virtuous humanitarian spirit among the youth and communities. Serei Chumneas, undersecretary of state at the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport, made the comment during the opening of a training programme called “

  • $50B infrastructure plan en route

    The government’s upcoming $50 billion,10-year infrastructure master plan will provide tremendous investment opportunities for domestic and foreign entities, transport experts and economists say. Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol revealed the plan to Japanese ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami on June 15. At

  • Chinese firms unveil preliminary results on metro, monorail for capital

    Minister of Public Works and Transport Sun Chanthol and representatives from China Road and Bridge Corp (CRBC) and its parent company, the state-owned China Communications Construction Co Ltd (CCCC), met on June 24 for talks on results of the firms’ preliminary study on a potential metro