Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Indonesian earthquake death toll surpasses 1,500



Indonesian earthquake death toll surpasses 1,500

Indonesian earthquake death toll surpasses 1,500

MAUMERE, Indonesia (AP) - Thousands of homeless families stretched tarps between

trees to create makeshift shelters near their destroyed houses last month as the

estimated death toll from a powerful earthquake here Dec. 12 rose above 1,500.

Officials said at least 1,584 people died, many of them in Maumere, on the Indonesian

island of Flores, and on two small islands that were swept by seismic waves triggered

by the quake.

A government spokesman said 25-meter seismic waves, called tsunami, virtually wiped

out fishing villages on the two islands.

Jose Mongi, a survivor from one of the islands, Pulau Bali, said 900 people there

were feared dead.

"We could not flee to the island of Flores by boat because of the big waves

coming at us, but we also could not run to the mountain for fear of landslides caused

by the quake," he said.

More than 200 bodies washed ashore in Lanatutu village in eastern Flores.

Hundreds of injured were being treated outdoors as hospitals and clinics overflowed.

At one hospital, 57 of 180 people who were admitted had died as of Dec. 14.

Officials warned residents of this coastal town of 40,000 people not to re-enter

their homes because of unsafe conditions.

The quake measured 6.8 on the Richter scale, according to Indonesian officials.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants