Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Investigation of advocate set to restart

Investigation of advocate set to restart

Investigation of advocate set to restart

THE stalled investigation of a prominent human rights activist in Ratanakkiri province will recommence later this month, provincial judge Thor Saron said Sunday.

Pen Bonnar, acting Ratanakkiri provincial coordinator for the local rights group Adhoc, is facing possible incitement charges along with Adhoc investigator Chhay Thy in connection with a November 2007 land dispute in the province involving the DM Group, which is developing a rubber plantation. Pen Bonnar was removed from his Ratanakkiri post in July of last year to avoid the charges, but returned last month despite the looming threat of legal action against him.

Thor Saron, who threatened both Pen Bonnar and Radio Free Asia journalist Ratha Visal in September with disinformation charges for accusing him of corruption, said his investigation would go forward despite facing continual delays.

“I will renew my investigation of incitement by the Adhoc provincial coordinator and his investigator at the end of February,” Thor Saron said, chalking up delays to a busy schedule.

“I cannot predict when the investigation will be completed, but once it is completed, it will be sent to a trial judge to schedule a trial date against the men,” Thor Saron added.

Pen Bonnar said he was unconcerned about the investigation, noting the statements of support he has received in relation to the case from the UN and other organisations.

“We have abided by the law from the beginning to end without inciting people,” he said.

“The people themselves sought intervention from local authorities to keep DM Group from encroaching on their land, but that failed, so they turned to our organisation for help.”

In October, the Ministry of Justice launched its own investigation of Thor Saron, after he was accused of using a pickup truck confiscated as evidence in an unrelated murder case.

However, it was ruled that the judge’s behaviour did not warrant punitive action, a decision that rights groups said set a “horrible precedent”.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh authorities ban march for Human Rights Day

    Phnom Penh authorities have banned a planned march as local NGOs and workers’ unions gear up to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the signing of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday, with a youth group leader saying they would march nonetheless. The UN

  • Phnom Penh’s Jet’s Container Night Market shuts down

    The famous Jet’s Container Night Market in central Phnom Penh has shut down due to the high cost of the land rental, company representatives claim. Jet’s Container Night Market is the largest such market in Phnom Penh. It operated for just over two

  • Hun Sen rejects ‘rift’ rumours spread by ‘stupid gangsters’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday denied a “rift” among top leaders of the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP), and rejected claims that Senate president Say Chhum and Interior Minister Sar Kheng were set to be removed from their positions as rumours spread by “gangsters”.

  • EU ambassador to Cambodia: Rights a ‘work in progress’

    The EU ambassador to Cambodia has called human rights “a work in progress” and said the 28-nation bloc has “carefully” noted last week’s statement by the government on taking further steps to strengthen democracy and the political sphere in the Kingdom. The EU marked