Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Italian pedophile jailed for ten years

Italian pedophile jailed for ten years

Italian pedophile jailed for ten years

An Italian man was sentenced to ten years in jail after he was found guilty of pedophilia

at the Phnom Penh municipal court. Alain Berruti was convicted of debauchery on July

16.

"The court has enough evidence," said Judge Nop Sophon. "Alain Fillipo

Berruti committed sex with Cambodian children on June 14 and 15, 2001."

Berruti, a 30-year-old electrician from Milan, was convicted on the strength of Article

8 of the human trafficking law which states that anyone who commits debauchery on

those under 15, even with their consent, will be jailed for between ten and 20 years.

Berruti rejected the sentence, even though he admitted he had sexual relations with

the boys. He said there was insufficient evidence.

"I refute the sentence and the allegations and will appeal immediately in the

hope that one day justice will be done," he said, adding that he knew he had

broken the law. "But these boys are the same as before. They come from the streets

- they are prostitutes. I had the [sex] experience with them for a small amount of

money."

Berruti arrived in Cambodia on a tourist visa on June 9 last year. After the verdict

he told reporters that Asia was a good travel destination, but that this was the

first time he had committed sex acts with young boys. He said he understood prison

conditions were bad, but had a good feeling about staying in the country.

"In other countries I can't find any available boys," he said. "Though

Cambodia is a poor country, I want to live here. Every day I can see the sun and

coconut trees."

Chum Sophea, who was appointed lawyer for the victims, said the sentence was too

lenient, and complained that the compensation ordered paid to the victims' families

- between $250 to $500 - was insufficient.

Two other Westerners are awaiting trial for similar crimes. Luigi Falchi, a 28-year-old

Italian, will appear in court in Banteay Meanchey August 1 charged with having sex

with three minors in Poipet.

And in Sihanoukville, the court will hear the adjourned case of Frenchman Pierre

Guynot on July 26. Guynot was released from custody in December after the judge ruled

there was insufficient evidence to convict him and ordered further investigation.

Guynot was arrested in May 2001 at his Sihanoukville home and imprisoned for six

months. He was charged with illegal confinement of a boy, illegal possession of weapons,

and the sexual abuse of minors.

Guynot was accused earlier this year of using his freedom to buy the silence of his

accusers. Their lawyer alleged to the Post in April that Guynot had offered their

families $600 each to withdraw their testimony.

MOST VIEWED

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • Defence Ministry denies weapons in smuggling case came from Cambodia

    After a Thai national was arrested last week for allegedly smuggling guns from Cambodia to Thailand, Cambodia's Defence Ministry has claimed the weapons seized during the arrest are not used in Cambodia, despite the fact that both types of rifle seized are commonly found in

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the

  • Shipwreck found off coast of Koh Kong

    Royal Cambodian Navy researchers are working to identify a decades-old shipwreck found earlier this month off the coast of Koh Kong province. Divers found the 70-metre-long wreck on April 4 about a mile from Koh Chhlam island, according to Navy officials. Deputy Navy Commander Tea Sokha,