Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Jailed Australian Ricketson optimistic after questioning



Jailed Australian Ricketson optimistic after questioning

Australian filmmaker James Ricketson is hauled away in a prison transport following a hearing at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday.
Australian filmmaker James Ricketson is hauled away in a prison transport following a hearing at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday. Pha Lina

Jailed Australian Ricketson optimistic after questioning

Jailed Australian filmmaker James Ricketson yesterday emerged from Phnom Penh Municipal Court hopeful that his case would be thrown out after he was questioned about 10 emails sent or received shortly after Cambodia’s national election five years ago.

During more than two hours of questioning by Investigating Judge Pich Vicheathor yesterday, a handful of emails to international journalists and activists were brought under scrutiny, Ricketson said.

He wrote down a rough list of the email recipients and their dates – all from late July or early August in 2013 – which was seen by The Post.

Ricketson was arrested in June last year after he was spotted flying a drone above an opposition rally. He has spent the last eight months in prison, and faces up to 10 years behind bars if convicted under Cambodia’s espionage laws.

“They can’t find any evidence at all [for the crime] of espionage. I have a list of emails … There’s absolutely nothing in there,” Ricketson said as he was escorted by police to a prison van yesterday.

“I would say from [the judge’s] demeanour that he realises there’s been a big mistake, that there is no evidence whatsoever.

“I’m hoping he will release me. But you can say it was a very good meeting and I think he was impressed by the fact that I’m not a spy, I’m just a filmmaker and I just want for this mistake to be rectified and to continue working with poor people in Cambodia, building houses and planting trees.”

A few months after Ricketson’s arrest for allegedly collecting information that could jeopardise Cambodia’s national defence, Cambodia National Rescue Party President Kem Sokha was arrested on suspicion of treason, and the party was forcibly dissolved by the Supreme Court.

Ricketson had been in close contact with the CNRP’s former leader Sam Rainsy, who went into self-imposed exile in 2014. He was forced to resign as head of the party after legal amendments rushed through by the ruling party effectively banned him from holding the position.

Rainsy and the CNRP fought a close contest in the July 28, 2013 national election and then challenged the ruling party’s victory.

The Post was not able to verify all emails listed by Ricketson, and purportedly discussed in court, yesterday. One of them was to Rainsy on August 5, 2013. The former opposition leader last night forwarded an email he received from Ricketson on that day in which he forwarded to Rainsy a photograph taken at a rally in Battambang and offered to introduce him to the photographer.

One journalist, who asked to remain anonymous due to the sensitivity of the case, confirmed they sent and received emails to Ricketson in early August of 2013. Those emails, seen by

The Post, involve friendly chit-chat and occasional, but innocuous, references to Rainsy.

Ricketson’s lawyer, Peung Yok Hiep, said that “emails that are linked to Sam Rainsy … are just [used to] accuse him”.

Yesterday’s questioning comes shortly after Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop wrote a letter about the case to her Cambodian counterpart, Prak Sokhonn, though its contents are not known.

Ricketson is due to be questioned again on January 19.

His son Jesse said his family remained hopeful that compassion from both governments would bring “this painful situation” to an end.

“My dad's not a spy. There’s just no evidence. We really hope that through hearings such as today’s this will become clear and the case will be dismissed,” he said.

Additional reporting by Niem Chheng

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants