Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Japan provides almost $2M to aid mine clearance efforts




Japan provides almost $2M to aid mine clearance efforts

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
CMAC and Jica on Tuesday signed a technical cooperation agreement to implement mine clearance action for the next four years. THE MINISTRY OF INFORMATION

Japan provides almost $2M to aid mine clearance efforts

The Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) and Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) on Tuesday signed the Record of Discussion on Technical Cooperation for the Project for Strengthening Organisational Functions of CMAC to implement mine clearance action for the next four years.

The project will receive more than $1.79 million from the Japanese government.

The signing ceremony was attended by senior minister in charge of Special Operations Meas Sophea, CMAC director-general Khoem Sophoan and Japanese Ambassador Masahiro Mikami in Phnom Penh.

CMAC director-general Heng Ratana said the project aimed to support the integration of landmine clearance and victim assistance, adding that the grant had been provided “to the government through the Ministry of Economy and Finance”.

Chhun Bora, the training manager at Cambodian Self Help Demining (CSHD), said his organisation had received support from the US, South Korea, Australia and Switzerland for a year-long mine clearance project.

The biggest challenge in mine clearance, he said, was seeking financial help to support the work and achieve the organisation’s planned goals.

“If we lack funding, we will have difficulties achieving the 2025 demining goal. But if we have money, we may achieve it before the set date. So I wish to appeal to donors to continue providing financial support to the mine clearance sector,” said Bora.

Jica chief representative Yuichi Sugano could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

A CMAC report said that from March 1992 until October this year, more than 1,064 sqkm of mine-contaminated land had been cleared, three million types of mines and unexploded ordnances had been removed and 68 sites with chemical bombs had been found.

MOST VIEWED

  • School reopening to be postponed until November

    Minister of Education Hang Chuon Naron on Tuesday wrote to Prime Minister Hun Sen requesting a delay of school reopening across the Kingdom until November, when the new academic year begins. In his letter, Chuon Naron said the postponement is warranted to avoid the new

  • Foreigners in Kingdom must now register in FPCS system

    The Ministry of Interior’s General Department of Immigration (GDI) announced that it would not grant visa extensions to foreigners staying in Cambodia if their names are not listed on the Foreigners Present in Cambodia System (FPCS) by July 1. Foreign nationals can register in the

  • Covid-19 at ‘alarming rate’, health ministry says

    The Covid-19 risk level for individual transmission is at an “alarming rate” in the Kingdom and its probability is “not low”, warned Health Ministry spokesperson Or Vandine. “Cambodia’s coronavirus scenario is classified as being at an early stage of the pandemic because of ongoing

  • Mandatory quarantine for 30,000 workers begins

    Some of the roughly 30,000 workers from factories and enterprises across the Kingdom who went on leave during Khmer New Year began their government-imposed 14-day quarantine on Monday. Speaking at a press conference while visiting workers at the Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone on Monday, Ministry

  • Unemployed to get $40 per month

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training has instructed enterprises, business owners and travel agencies in five provinces to prepare the proper forms for the suspension of employment contracts. This, it said, will make it easier for the ministry to transfer $40 a month to workers

  • Gov’t travel ban flouted

    While the majority of Cambodians have paid heed to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s order to stay put and not travel during the Khmer New Year – the holidays of which were also postponed – several hundred have left Phnom Penh nonetheless. They have allegedly breached provincial

  • G20 energy ministers struggle to finalise oil output cuts

    Top oil producers struggled to finalise production cuts during a virtual summit held by Group of 20 (G20) energy ministers on Friday, despite US President Donald Trump’s mediation efforts to end a standoff with Mexico. The final G20 communique appeared to gloss over simmering divisions

  • Kingdom revises travel restriction order

    The government on Friday eased the district and provincial border restrictions issued on Thursday. People are now allowed to cross districts within their provinces. Phnom Penh and Kandal province are to be treated as a single region where people are allowed to travel freely. In

  • Private schools struggling

    The Cambodian Higher Education Association has claimed that 113 private educational establishments are facing bankruptcy because of their inability to pay rent and staff salaries in light of nationwide school closures caused by the Covid-19 outbreak. It said the financial trouble started when the Ministry of

  • Khmer New Year holidays postponed

    In an effort to halt Covid-19 infections in the Kingdom, Prime Minister Hun Sen has postponed the Khmer New Year holidays scheduled from April 13 to 16. While the people will not have their usual break, nor will there be any public celebrations or gatherings at pagodas,