Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Japanese Encephalitus in Cambodia

Japanese Encephalitus in Cambodia

Japanese Encephalitus in Cambodia

S EVENTY five cases of Japanese Encephalitus have been reported in Cambodia since

April, according to Dr. Yit Sunnara, medical chief at Cambodian Kantha Bopha Children's

Hospital.

The disease was first discovered at Kantha Bopha in April. Dr. Sunnara said prior

to that it was known that Japanese Encephalitus was present in neighboring countries,

but no outbreak had been discovered in Cambodia.

Dr. Sunnara said the disease is transmitted by mosquitoes living in the rice fields.

Typically the moquitoes pick up the virus by biting pigs or birds, and then pass

it on to people.

Dr. Beat Richner of Kuntha Bopha said in hte past month, '15 cases of Japanese Encephalitis

in children have been reported. Prior to that, 10 children living in Phnom Penh were

found to have Japanese Encephalitis. He said 22 cases were reported in Kandal, 7

in Prey Veng, 5 in Takeo, 8 in Kampong Cham, 2 in Kampong Thom, 5 in Kampong Speu

and 1 in Sihanoukville.

Encephalitis is a serious disease that can cause permanent memory loss or retardation,

he said.

"There is no treatment to help patients infected by the disease. The only means

to help them is to give them pre-vaccinations," he said.

Dr. Denis Laurent, who discovered the disease in April, said it is difficult to analyze

blood for Japanese Encephalitus, but the virus can be found in the blood serum. He

confirmed that his finding of the virus in April was through a specific antibody

called IGM that immediately appeared when the virus gets into the body.

The doctors submitted the research to the Ministry of Health to call for a vaccination

program.

MOST VIEWED

  • Breaking: US House passes 'Cambodia Democracy Act'

    The US House of Representatives in Washington, DC, on Monday, passed the “HR 526 Cambodia Democracy Act”, also known as the Cambodia Democracy Act of 2019. If signed off by the president, the bill will allow two major sets of action to be taken against high-ranking Cambodian

  • ‘Zero-dollar’ tours under fire

    Minister of Tourism Thong Khon has blamed “zero-dollar” tour operators for the decrease in foreign tourists to Angkor Archaeological Park in the first half of this year and has called for action against them. Angkor Archaeological Park received 1.24 million foreign visitors in the first half

  • Breaking: Rubbish found packed inside 83 containers at S'ville port

    Eighty-three containers packed with rubbish were broken open at Sihanoukville Autonomous Port by joint authorities on Tuesday. The origin of the containers has yet to be ascertained, Ministry of Environment spokesman Neth Pheaktra said. Pheaktra, who is also the ministry’s secretary of state, said

  • VIP prison scrapped amid much criticism

    The Ministry of Interior announced on Thursday that Cambodia’s first privately run prison, which was to allow prisoners with enough money to upgrade to more comfortable cells, has been scrapped. Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said studies had found that no other country in the