Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Journalist sues for damages



Journalist sues for damages

Journalist Lay Samean is attended to as he lies on the road after being beaten by municipal security personnel near Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park earlier this month.
Journalist Lay Samean is attended to as he lies on the road after being beaten by municipal security personnel near Phnom Penh’s Freedom Park earlier this month. PHOTO SUPPLIED

Journalist sues for damages

The Cambodian Center for Independent Media (CCIM) filed a lawsuit for damages yesterday against three government officials on behalf of a Voice of Democracy journalist who was badly beaten by security guards at the site of a planned demonstration in the capital earlier this month.

Voice of Democracy reporter Lay Samean, 27, was attacked by Daun Penh district security guards on May 2 while covering a scheduled opposition rally near Freedom Park that never materialised due to heavy police presence.

Samean was beaten on the head, and his injuries necessitated a trip to Bangkok for an operation that CCIM paid for.

In the lawsuit, CCIM, which oversees Voice of Democracy, is demanding $30,000 in medical compensation fees from Phnom Penh Governor Pa Socheatvong, Daun Penh District Governor Sok Sambath and his deputy, Sok Penh Vuth.

“CCIM spent $30,000 on [Samean’s] operation in Thailand,” CCIM director Pa Ngoun Teang said at a press conference yesterday announcing the lawsuit, which was filed with Phnom Penh Municipal Court. “We demand compensation from these three governors because they are the leaders of the security guards.”

Socheatvong, Sambath and Penh Vuth referred questions yesterday to City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche.

“They are free to file complaints at the court if they have the proper evidence. If not, they [the plaintiffs] can file a complaint in return suing for defamation,” Dimanche said.

Kaing Tong Ngy, a spokesman with CCIM, said the lawsuit was not targeting Minister of Information Khieu Kanharith, who told the Post last week that unidentified witnesses had heard Samean insulting district security guards, using a term seen by some as derogatory towards Vietnamese people.

Since the incident, Samean has repeatedly denied that he said anything of the sort, and a Post journalist at the scene attributed the comment to someone else.

Samean said yesterday his health is improving but that he still suffers from headaches. He also complained of problems in one eye and pain in his cheek.

“I’ll still work as an investigative reporter to report on what’s happening in society,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Municipal hall releases map detailing colour coded Covid risks by commune

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng released an official map detailing the red, yellow and dark yellow zones within the city under the new lockdown orders for Phnom Penh announced on April 26. The designation of red, dark yellow and yellow corresponds to areas with high,

  • Inter-provincial travel ban lifted; Phnom Penh and Takmao not exempted

    The government on April 25 decided to lift the inter-provincial travel ban and the closure of tourist attractions across the country, effectively immediately. The travel ban and closures of all resorts were imposed on April 6 and 17 respectively in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19,

  • Phnom Penh unveils rules for post-lockdown transition

    The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration issued a set of detailed guidelines for the seven days to May 12 after the capital emerges from lockdown at the onset of May 6. In the 14-page document signed by municipal governor Khuong Sreng released on the evening of May 5, the

  • Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown extended for another week

    The government late on April 26 announced an extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province for another seven days – or longer if residents do not comply with Covid-19 preventive measures and the community outbreak does not subside – until May 5. According

  • Gov't mulls extension of Phnom Penh, Takmao lockdown

    The Inter-ministerial National Commission for the Control and Enforcement of Lockdown held a video conference meeting on April 25 to review a draft document on the extension of lockdown in Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal province’s Takmao town. The meeting was chaired by Minister of

  • Gov’t issues guidelines as lockdown nears end

    The government has issued a five-page set of instructions to be enforced when the three-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Takmao town in Kandal province ends on May 6. According to an announcement signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on May 4, the instructions cover a