Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Journalists set to face Battambang court on forestry charges




Journalists set to face Battambang court on forestry charges

Journalists set to face Battambang court on forestry charges

Four journalists detained by military police for stealing a chainsaw will face trial pending an investigation by the Forestry Administration.

FOUR journalists arrested in Battambang's Rukakiri district Sunday after being accused of stealing a chainsaw will be investigated by the Forestry Administration after a provincial court transferred their case, claiming it was outside their jurisdiction.

"To follow the court's procedures, I have transferred the case to Forestry Administration officials to investigate because it involves a forestry crime, not a robbery like military police originally charged," said Yos Chanthavirak, Battambang court chief prosecutor.

Military police officers detained the four men - all of whom held press credentials issued by the Ministry of Information - after they received a complaint from a local resident Sunday that the men drove to his house and stole a chainsaw from his property.  

"After asking the four suspects, they admitted that they had stolen the chainsaw, so we charged them with robbery," said So Dy, chief of the provincial Bureau of Military Security.

According to their press cards, three of the men work for Koh Santepheap Men, a local newspaper, while the fourth is employed by another publication, Koh Ekreach.

Two suspects on the run

Yin Mengly, the provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, said two of the four men escaped detention during their transfer to pretrial detention at the provincial court.

He told the Post that the Forestry Administration would investigate the case and file any complaints back to the provincial court for prosecution, but said he disagreed with the decision to reassign the case.

"This is a robbery crime, not a forestry crime," he said. "I'm disappointed."

Victim Vorn Yoeun, 25, said Wednesday that the four men drove up to his house in a white Camry and took his chainsaw without any explanation.

"I chased the men's car on my motorbike for about 3 kilometres but they didn't stop, [so] I stopped by the military police office to make a complaint."

Investigating judge Keo Chheng could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM: West unfair to Cambodia

    Prime Minister Hun Sen released a message celebrating the International Day of Peace on Monday, saying that some major powers and western countries had been systemically cooperating to put political pressure on Cambodia as they did in the 1970s and 1980s. Hun Sen said pressuring

  • ‘Bad news is an investor’s best friend’ – unlocking investment potential in Cambodia

    It is time to shop. Economic woes provide good pickings for investors if they know where to look The poem If, written by English Nobel laureate poet and novelist Rudyard Kipling for his son circa 1895, is widely perceived as fatherly advice for John who would

  • PM requests Russia’s Covid vaccine

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has requested that Russia provide Cambodia with its Covid-19 vaccine after the former announced it planned on mass vaccinating its population next month. The request came on Thursday through the prime minister’s Facebook page as he met with Anatoly Borovik,

  • First ‘mobile kitchen’ in Cambodia enters service

    A catering company recently rolled out Cambodia’s first “mobile kitchen” – a $50,000 container capable of serving up to 200 people at a time. The kitchen is the brainchild of Seng Hok Heng Catering Services. At 4.4m-high, 6.8m-long and 2.4m-wide (expandable to 6.8m), the kitchen is equipped

  • Kingdom, China rebut basis for US sanctions

    The Council for the Development of Cambodia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, and Tianjin Union Investment Development Group Co Ltd (Tianjin) have responded to US sanctions on Union Development Group Co Ltd (UDG), a Chinese-owned company currently developing the sprawling $3.8 billion Dara

  • Influenza breaks out in eight provinces

    Nearly 600 people have been infected with influenza in eight provinces in the past month, Ministry of Health spokesperson Or Vandine said. The ministry is advising extreme caution. A report released by Vandine on Saturday said the Ministry of Health observed transmissions of influenza between August 15