A warehouse containing petroleum products was severely damaged by fire in Kampong Speu yesterday. The blaze occurred after workers repairing the roof plugged an electrical tool into a socket that then sparked and caused fuel to ignite.
Sek Heng, provincial deputy police chief, said the warehouse was owned by local businessman Oeng Chhuntry, and was located close to his home in Rakar Thom commune as well as a petrol station he owns.
“Fortunately, the flames did not spread to the nearby gasoline station or it might have caused danger to the neighbours,” Heng said, adding that nobody was harmed in the fire.
The provincial fire department sent a total of 17 trucks to fight the blaze, which also caused smoke damage to Chhuntry’s home.
The firetrucks received additional support from vehicles belonging to the warehouse as well as two of Chhuntry’s personal trucks.
Prom Yorn, director of the Phnom Penh fire department, said the capital recorded 41 fire incidents in the first six months of this year. The fires injured nine people and damaged hundreds of homes.