Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kampot cement strike settled



Kampot cement strike settled

Kampot cement strike settled

NEARLY 400 strikers agreed to end their three-week occupation of the Chak Krei Ting

cement plant in Kampot province after succesful negotiations with management.

Naga Cement agreed Apr 9 not to fire 11 workers and suspend others, and the strikers

agreed to return to work.

"The workers and the owners were very happy ... both sides have reached a mutual

understanding," said Meas Leng, the Ministry of Industry representative who

had attended a special meeting.

A committee was set up with representatives of the Ministries of Industry and Labor

to solve the problem with workers' representatives during the strike.

Parties agreed to the following: canceling dismissals and suspensions, obliging workers

to return, establishing official factory rules and guaranteeing peaceful settlements

in the future.

"The factory owner has agreed not to dismiss workers any more and employees

said they will resume work," said Industry Ministry representative Kim Touch.

The workers occupied the factory Mar 19, complaining that 11 workers had been dismissed

and 55 other were suspended. They alleged the factory's security chief had unfairly

accused them of taking bribes from cement vendors picking up loads.

One day before the agreement, Naga Cement produced a press release stating: the strike

was illegal under Cambodian law, strikers illegally occupied the plant and denied

management access, no workers had been dismissed, no complaints had been filed regarding

salaries and that there was no oppression at the plant.

Meas Leng conceded that the strike may have been illegal, but stated that holding

a strike is the right of workers when they have problems with the owner of a factory

or with the government.

"The strike can be legal or illegal...but those are the rights of the workers,"

Leng said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh curfew starts today

    A two-week curfew from 8pm to 5am starts today in Phnom Penh, a day after a sub-decree detailing administrative measures to contain Covid-19 was issued by Prime Minister Hun Sen. “Travelling in Phnom Penh is temporally banned between 8pm and 5am,” said Phnom Penh governor

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting