Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kampot court charges journos with extortion

Kampot court charges journos with extortion

Kampot court charges journos with extortion

Two journalists were charged by Kampot Provincial Court on Monday evening with extorting money from a deputy governor, while a construction worker who was also arrested in connection with the case was released after questioning, a court official said yesterday.

The reporters were arrested on Friday by the Anti-Corruption Unit, marking the first arrest of journalists by the organisation, which usually targets government officials.

Khai Samphorse, deputy prosecutor at Kampot Provincial Court, said the two journalists – Tol Hok Ly, a stringer for TV 9; and Sor Bun Ly, a stringer for Hang Meas TV – had allegedly demanded $1,000 from a deputy governor.

“After the ACU arrested and questioned them and sent them back to Kampot court, the court charged them with extortion,” Samphorse said.

He added that a third man, construction worker Sok Sovan, had been released after questioning, because he was found to not be connected with the case.

Meas Rithy, a news anchor at Hang Meas, said that he supported the charges against his colleague.

“I support arresting any reporters that do not obey the journalism code,” he said.

In a separate case yesterday, Kampong Chhnang Provincial Court dropped charges against five journalists accused of extorting money from an illegal timber dealer.

The reporters – from Deum Ampil, Apsara TV, Nokorwat and Today Newspaper – stood accused of extorting money from a wood smuggler in 2010.

A sixth suspect passed away earlier this month.

Defence lawyer Kong Pisey celebrated the decision.

“It is the right decision, because the witnesses represented by the prosecutor didn’t answer clearly and didn’t see my clients committing the offences, so the arrest warrants have to be dropped automatically.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Serious flooding across country

    The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were

  • CNRP points to King in call for vote boycott

    Leaders of the former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) have taken a new tack in their call for a boycott of the national elections later this month. They are now claiming that the people should follow the King, who is expected to abide by tradition

  • Actress’s NGO takes heat for promoting the ruling party

    An actress’s NGO which participated in an election campaign event contrary to the Law on Association and Non-Governmental Organisations (Lango) has been slammed. Chorn Chanleakena, a celebrity and the president of the Association of Artists Volunteering to Help Society, allegedly led its members in

  • Troop moves ‘won’t worry people’

    Senior officials at the Ministry of Defence and National Police said on Tuesday that riot training provided to the country’s police forces were aimed at preventing unexpected demonstrations and strikes before and after the July 29 national elections. The troop mobilisation, they said, would not