Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kampot KR break siege lines

Kampot KR break siege lines

Kampot KR break siege lines

K AMPOT-Khmer Rouge guerrillas holding three Western hostages made a bold counterattack on Sept 7 to break through encircling government forces.

Around 150 KR fighters took part in assault which brought them down off Phnom Vour (Vine Mountain) to within 15 km of Kampot town itself and helped them gain fresh supplies.

One division of government troops and three tanks fell back to the cement factory at Chakrey Ting and seven police were killed and two more wounded. Four villagers were also injured in the fighting.

As the Post went to press negotiations to free Briton Mark Slater, 28, Jean-Michel Braquet,27, from France and Australian David Wilson,29, were stalled.

The commander of Khmer Rouge Regiment 75 General Paet initially asked for a ransom of $150,000 in gold and has since compounded his demands by linking the hostages' release to ending military aid by their governments.

One of his most recent demands is that the Ambassadors representing the hostages' countries meet directly with the KR's nominal leader Khieu Samphan.

The Westerners are backpackers who were captured on July 27 when the train they were travelling on to Sihanoukville was ambushed.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • EU officials: Ending EBA an 18-month procedure

    EU officials have confirmed that it will take a total of 18 months to complete the procedure if Cambodia’s preferential Everything But Arms (EBA) trade agreement is to be withdrawn. According to EU Agriculture and Rural Development spokesman Daniel Rosario, the formal process has not