A Kampot province man died on Tuesday from injuries suffered at a petrol station in Kong Pisey district, Kampong Speu province, on July 9, in a case that has sparked criticism of local police on social media.
Taing Kimheng, 30, died at Preah Kossamak Hospital in Phnom Penh, after a photograph of him showing his burns was posted on Facebook by district police, suggesting to some on social media that police had questioned him before he was sent to the capital for treatment.
However, Sok Sophal, the district deputy police chief, said police weren’t questioning Kimheng.
“The victim was waiting for an ambulance, but we were not questioning him. We do not have an ambulance on standby,” he said.
Sophal said police concluded that the fire was caused when a Chinese customer Kimheng was chauffeuring to Phnom Penh lit a cigarette at a petrol station in Kampong Speu. The Chinese man was also injured but survived.
Taing Kimhong, the victim’s brother, told The Post from the funeral ceremony in Kampot province that Kimheng is survived by his wife and two daughters, aged four and six.