Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kampot tragedy: police offer $1K reward

Kampot tragedy: police offer $1K reward

Kampot tragedy: police offer $1K reward

A month after the grisly murder of a French tourist, Kampot police said yesterday they had neither leads nor suspects and would begin offering the public a reward of $1,000 for any viable tips.

“If anyone offers any news leading to the real identification of the killer, our authorities will offer them $1,000,” said In Chiva, deputy provincial police chief.

On February 10, authorities discovered the body of 25-year-old Ophélie Begnis – last seen the afternoon before – floating in the Kampong Bay estuary and with severe injuries to her head and arms.

Despite what authorities described as a thorough investigation, to date, admitted Chiva, no leads have been found.

“We asked divers to trawl the suspected areas, and we have found a dark dress with a zipper on the back. But we have not concluded that it belonged to her, because they said she wore trousers when she left that night,” he said.

Chiva said that officials from the Ministry of Interior were aiding provincial police and insisted the joint forces were “using all means to track the suspicious targets.”

Late last month, police said they had questioned a handful of suspects, but declined to give further details. No arrests have been made since.

Though the official joint post-mortem from the Ministry of Interior and French Embassy has not yet been released, an official speaking on the condition of anonymity told the Post last month that the preliminary examination suggested Begnis was raped before she was murdered.

MOST VIEWED

  • Man arrested for fake PM endorsement

    The owner of currency exchange company GCG Asia Co Ltd was temporarily detained by the court yesterday for attempted fraud after Prime Minister Hun Sen reacted to the company using his name and pictures to allege his endorsement of the firm. Phnom Penh Municipal Court

  • Police seek arrest of Chinese ‘gang’

    Cambodian police remain on the lookout for 20 Chinese nationals who earlier this month posted a video clip threatening to stoke insecurity in Preah Sihanouk province, though the Chinese Embassy in Phnom Penh maintained the group posed no threats to Cambodia’s national security. National Police

  • Sihanoukville authority orders structure dismantled

    The Preah Sihanouk provincial administration has ordered owners of two unauthorised construction sites to immediately dismantle them and warned of legal action if the owners failed to comply. Ly Chet Niyom, development management and construction bureau chief at the provincial hall, told The Post on

  • Rapper deletes song critical of Cambodian social issues

    A young musician has deleted from Facebook and YouTube a rap song that was critical of Cambodia’s social issues and announced that he will stop singing the song after officials visited his home in Siem Reap province and allegedly gave him a warning. Provincial