Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kem Ley’s widow called to hearing over murder



Kem Ley’s widow called to hearing over murder

Bou Rachana (second left), the wife of murdered political analyst Kem Ley, and her five sons pictured in Melbourne, Australia, last month after receiving refugee status. sk media
Bou Rachana (second left), the wife of murdered political analyst Kem Ley, and her five sons pictured in Melbourne, Australia, last month after receiving refugee status. sk media

Kem Ley’s widow called to hearing over murder

The Appeal Court has summonsed the widow of slain political commentator Kem Ley to appear for an appeal hearing on April 3 in the case of her husband’s murderer, Oeut Ang.

Ang, who went by the moniker “Choub Samlab”, or “meet to kill”, shot Kem Ley point blank at a Phnom Penh petrol station in 2016, allegedly over a $3,000 unpaid debt. He was convicted and sentenced to life in prison in March 2017, but his motives raised questions and even authorities suggested he did not act alone, leading many to believe the killing was politically motivated.

The Appeal Court has summonsed Bou Rachana, Ley’s widow, as the civil party complainant, according to a March 14 letter signed by Prosecutor Hoeng Bunchea – though Rachana has said she never filed the claim. According to the summons, she could face legal action if she does not appear.

“Failing to appear for the hearing, refusing to give information as a witness or giving false information will be punished according to law,” the summons reads. Rachana is in Australia after being granted asylum along with her children.

Appeal Court spokesman Touch Tharith only confirmed the authenticity of the document and appeal hearing date.

While Rachana could not be reached on Thursday, she reiterated on Facebook that she had not filed a complaint and had little faith that the court would find the people behind her husband’s murder. “I know clearly that the courts in Phnom Penh do not have the ability to arrest the real killers and to find justice for me,” she wrote.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Courts’ decisions now published as reference source

    The Ministry of Justice has published 44 verdicts from civil litigation cases which can be used as models for court precedents and for study by the public and those who work in pertinent fields. Publication of the verdicts on December 31 came as the result of joint

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • China firm to develop Mondulkiri airport

    Tourism to the Kingdom’s northeast corridor could experience a remarkable metamorphosis after the government decided in principle of a Chinese company to study and develop a proposal to build a regional-level airport in Mondulkiri province, according to industry insiders. The Council of Ministers said