Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kenyan calls her entry denial discrimination



Kenyan calls her entry denial discrimination

Kenyan calls her entry denial discrimination

Officers at the Phnom Penh International Airport denied claims that a Kenyan woman was discriminated against on Monday, saying she was denied entry to the Kingdom for not meeting proper requirements.

Comments by the woman, Mwangi Mumbi Muthoni, which were published in an online forum for expatriates, said she was told she couldn’t enter the country without proving she had $1,000 in cash.

Despite having a valid e-visa, passport and a letter of invitation to volunteer, Muthoni was allegedly asked to prove she had available funds and told to fly back to Malaysia if she didn’t have the money.

“They said they wanted to see my bank account balance. I asked why, and they said they wanted to see if I had enough money to support myself,” she said, adding that she had $250, and 100 Malaysian ringgit on her.

Muthoni said she could prove she had more than $1,000 in her bank account within two hours but was told by police that that would be too late.

She said the requirement to have $1,000 in cash wasn’t listed on the government’s website, and that she had been treated differently because she was African.

An immigration officer based at the airport claimed she had been denied entry over fears she would stay illegally in the country. He denied that officials were presented with an invitation letter.

“She came and an officer questioned her. She did not have a clear purpose for entering the Kingdom and no invitation letter. She did not have money and said she had [some] on her bank card, but when we asked her to present it, she did not have that either."

“We suspect that she may have come here to look for work. If we allowed her to enter the Kingdom, we believe there would be problems in the event we had to deport her in future,” the officer said.

The police official cited sub-decree 12, issued in 2016, when saying the requirements for Muthoni’s entry had not been met.

MOST VIEWED

  • Kingdom's Covid cluster cases jump to 194

    The Ministry of Health on February 25 confirmed 65 new cases of Covid-19, with 58 linked to the February 20 community transmission. The latest cluster cases include nine Vietnamese nationals, five Cambodians, one each from Korea, Singapore and Japan, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total number

  • Locations shut, dozens more Covid-19 positive

    The Ministry of Health has closed 23 locations in connection with the February 20 community transmission of Covid-19 and summoned for testing anyone who had direct contact with affected people and places. The number of discovered related infections has risen to 76, including 39 women. In a press release,

  • Cambodia's Covid cluster cases rise to 137

    The Ministry of Health on February 24 recorded 40 more cases of Covid-19, with 38 linked to the February 20 community transmission. Of the 40, two are imported cases involving Chinese passengers. The 38 include two Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. This brings the total cases

  • Covid cluster raises alarm, health bodies urge vigilance

    The Ministry of Health and the World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia have expressed great concern over the February 20 cluster transmission of Covid-19 in the community. Both entities appealed for vigilance and cooperation in curbing further spread of the virus. Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said

  • PM confirms third Covid-19 community transmission

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on February 20 announced the Kingdom's third outbreak of Covid-19 community transmission after 32 people tested positive in just over 10 hours. Addressing the public from his residence after an emergency meeting, Hun Sen said: "I dub it February 20 Community Event, in which 32 cases

  • Cambodia's cluster cases jump to 259

    The Ministry of Health on February 27 recorded 26 more cases of Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community transmission, bringing the total to 259 in one week. The 26 include three Vietnamese nationals and one Cambodian, with the rest being Chinese. The ministry noted that five of the Chinese