Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Khieu Samphan team formally requests bail

Khieu Samphan team formally requests bail

Khieu Samphan team formally requests bail

02b khieu samphan
Khieu Samphan attends a Khmer Rouge tribunal hearing. Eccc

The Khieu Samphan defence yesterday filed a request to the Trial Chamber of the Khmer Rouge tribunal, asking that their client be released from detention and placed under “judicial control”, arguing that his five-year provisional detention has violated his right to be presumed innocent.

According to the defence, the length of the hearing has been prejudicial to his fair-trial rights, and ongoing concerns over the health of his co-accused, Nuon Chea, as well as the court’s financial woes, render unlikely the possibility that judges can deliver a verdict in a timely fashion – if at all.

“How and when will Mr. Khieu Samphan be judged for the entirety of the charges approved against him in the closing order?” the filing asks, calling it “intolerable” to keep an accused in detention without the prospect of a judgment in the foreseeable future.

The defence recommended a number of conditions to be imposed upon Samphan’s release, including surrendering his identification documents to the court, taking visits from authorities, submitting to regular medical checks and avoiding contact with the media and anyone scheduled to testify at the trial.

Noting that since the former Khmer Rouge head of state has “no passport, no money, no residence abroad and is very attached to his family ... it is absurd to imagine that, at close to 82 years old, Mr. Khieu Samphan could go back to living in the jungle.”

Cambodian Justice Initiative program officer Panhavuth Long said that Samphan’s lengthy detention may indeed be a violation of his rights.

Long added that because Samphan’s right to a fair trial could be affected by delays due to national side funding and the health of Nuon Chea, “the only way” to keep him in pre-trial detention would be to try Samphan separately under the full scope of charges against him in Case 002, as opposed to those within the first mini-trial.

Though it is unclear when the first mini-trial against the pair would wrap up, a schedule proposed by the prosecution and released yesterday suggests evidentiary hearings could finish “by the end of July 2013” with closing arguments coming two months later. In an interview given with American public radio station WBEZ last week, UN’s special expert on the ECCC, David Scheffer, suggested as much, saying, “We’d be looking at early 2014 for a judgment.”

MOST VIEWED

  • Proof giants walked among us humans?

    For years a debate has waged about whether certain bas relief carvings at the 12th-century To Prohm Temple, one of the most popular attractions at the Angkor Wat Temple Complex in Siem Reap province, depicted dinosaurs or some rather less exotic and more contemporary animal,

  • Japan bank buys major stake in ANZ Royal Bank

    Japan's largest bank acquired more than half of ANZ’s shares in Cambodia on Thursday, according to a statement from Kith Meng’s Royal Group. Japan's JTrust Bank, announced that they had acquired a 55% of stake in ANZ Royal Bank. According to a Royal Group

  • Long way to go before Cambodia gets a ‘smart city’

    Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Battambang will struggle to attain smart city status without adopting far reaching master plans, according to officials tasked with implementing the program. The brainchild of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), the smart city program seeks to link up

  • New US bill ‘is a violation of Cambodian independence’

    After a US congressmen introduced bipartisan legislation that will enact sanctions on Cambodian officials responsible for “undermining democracy” in the Kingdom, government officials and the ruling Cambodian People’s Party on Sunday said they regarded the potential action as the “violation of independence and sovereignty