Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Khmer Krom fear exclusion in KRT cases

Khmer Krom fear exclusion in KRT cases

Khmer Krom fear exclusion in KRT cases

Civil party lawyers expressed alarm yesterday that sites of alleged atrocities against Khmer Krom were left out of a statement by the Khmer Rouge tribunal’s co-investigating judges that named crime sites connected to the court’s controversial fourth case.

“Khmer Krom survivors fear that history may repeat itself. That they may be excluded yet again, even though cases 003 and 004 purports to relate to the very provinces and offences that concerns them,” a statement from a team of lawyers led by Mahdev Mohan, of Access to Justice Asia LLP, said yesterday.

In June, international co-prosecutor Andrew Cayley filed a supplementary submission in Case 004 asking the co-investigating judges to examine alleged crimes committed against the Khmer Krom in Takeo and Pursat provinces.

A list of 30 crime sites connected to Case 004 released by the co-investigating judges on Monday did not include Bakan district, located in Pursat province, where hundreds of Khmer Krom were allegedly slaughtered after the arrival of Khmer Rouge cadres from Ta Mok’s Southwest Zone in 1977.

The judges suggested in their statement on Monday that the sites of alleged crimes against the Khmer Krom were not yet subject to investigation in Case 004. “In case the investigations are extended to other crime sites the public will be notified separately in due time,” they said. The judges have closed their Case 003 investigation.

On Friday, Cayley issued a statement saying he had requested the judges to release information allowing victims to apply as civil parties in Case 004. Dale Lysak, assistant prosecutor in Cayley’s office, said yesterday that Cayley’s request included the sites of alleged crimes against the Khmer Krom, and the international prosecution team hoped for “quick action” from the judges on the issue.

The judges said in their statement that there were “serious doubts” as to whether the suspects in Case 004, a trio of mid-level Khmer Rouge cadres, fall within the court’s jurisdiction, fuelling concern that they will dismiss the case amid public opposition to it from the Cambodian government.

MOST VIEWED

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Chinese police escort deported scam suspects

    Ninety-one Chinese nationals accused of extorting money from victims in a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) scam were deported from Phnom Penh International Airport on Monday under the escort of 182 Chinese police personnel. General Department of Immigration head of investigations Ouk Hay Seila told reporters

  • Sam Rainsy, government group set to clash at IPU Geneva meet?

    Opposition figure Sam Rainsy has been invited to speak at the General Assembly of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) in Geneva, according to a former Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) lawmaker. A government delegation is also set to attend the meeting, a National Assembly press release