Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Khmer New Year brings deaths, injuries

Khmer New Year brings deaths, injuries

Khmer New Year brings deaths, injuries


At least eight people were killed on roads in the capital and popular tourist spots, while fire razed 16 homes in Phnom Penh during the Khmer New Year weekend, authorities said yesterday.

{jathumbnail}

Seven crashes occurred in the capital, killing two and injuring seven, deputy chief of Phnom Penh’s road traffic police Chev Hak said.

“The traffic accidents increased from last year, but the death toll decreased,” he said, adding that six people were killed in six accidents in the city during the same time last year.

“Speed remains a key factor that causes traffic accidents. Road accidents in Phnom Penh this year, however, were not caused by drivers being drunk.”

In Siem Reap, where tens of thousands of people flocked for celebrations, deputy police chief Kan Sambath said four people were killed and six injured in six accidents.

“There were fewer accidents this year after authorities kept order, taught traffic laws and cracked down on speeding,” he said. “However, accidents still happen and often they are caused by people driving drunk or overtaking at fast speeds."

Prum Pov, chief of road traffic police in Preah Sihanouk province, said there were four accidents in his province, including one in which two motorcycles had collided, claiming the lives of two people and injured five.

Sok Nob, procedure office chief at the Ministry of Interior’s order department, said a holiday road toll will be issued tomorrow.

Meanwhile, a careless home–owner has been blamed for a fire that razed 10 homes in the capital on Saturday, one of three blazes caused by candles and incense sticks, a fire department official said.

Phnom Penh Municipal Fire Department Neth Vantha said 10 houses were destroyed in a blaze in Meanchey district on Saturday, another five in the same district the next day and one house in Dangkor district.

“Careless” owners had left home with candles and incense sticks burning, he said.

No injuries had occurred because no one else had been at home, Neth Vantha said, adding that 45 fire trucks had battled the fires.

To contact the reporters on this story: Mom Kunthear at [email protected]
Tep Nimol at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Archaeologists find ancient remnant

    A team from the Apsara National Authority (ANA) has discovered a gatekeeper statue’s foot fragment at the Tonle Snguot Temple, within a metre of the toe of a statue found in 2017. ANA spokesman Long Kosal told The Post on Wednesday that the fragment was

  • Hun Sen to the rescue

    Cambodia has won praise for allowing passengers of the MS Westerdam cruise ship to dock at Preah Sihanouk port, thanks to Prime Minister Hun Sen’s humanitarian act. In a message via Twitter on Wednesday, the director-general of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesu

  • EU partially withdraws EBA

    The EU Commission on Wednesday announced the partial withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) scheme, citing a serious and systematic violation by Cambodia of principles in the four core human and labour rights. The suspension affects one-fifth or €1 billion ($1.08 billion) of Cambodia’s annual

  • Japan calls for policy changes

    Representatives of Japanese companies and investors on Wednesday submitted a list of policy recommendations to the government concerning 21 challenges to the Kingdom’s business climate. Japanese Ambassador to Cambodia Masahiro Mikami and leaders of the Japanese Business Association in Cambodia (JBAC), Japan International Cooperation Agency

  • Trump tweets praise for Kingdom docking ship

    Cambodia continues to earn praise for its humanitarian act of allowing the MS Westerdam cruise ship with more than 2,200 passengers and crew on board to dock at the Preah Sihanouk port. The praise this time comes from none other than US President Donald Trump. “Thank

  • Hate worse than virus, PM says

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Tuesday criticised countries that have cancelled flights with China following the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), arguing that such moves amounted to discrimination against the Chinese. In a speech delivered during the groundbreaking ceremony for work on national roads 2