Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Khmer papers pass judgment

Khmer papers pass judgment

Khmer papers pass judgment

THERE have been divergent reactions in the Khmer media to the Prince Ranariddh trial

and the killing of a high-ranking Funcinpec general on the same day.

The CPP-sympathetic Reasmei Kampuchea stuck to reporting the facts for the Ranariddh

trial, but with the killing of Brigadier-General Kim Sang, the paper took a more

editorializing line.

It said Sang was corrupt and had a "fever for gambling".

It quoted the authorities as saying the killing was motivated by revenge not politics.

Meanwhile the opposition newspaper Voice of Khmer Youth took a more irreverent stand

on the trial - comparing it to play acting in a comedy theater.

With the Sang killing the paper pointed to involvement of national police chief Hok

Lundy. It quoted the victim's wife as saying that Lundy phoned Sang to come in for

a meeting and as he was driving to it he was murdered.

They linked the killing to politics.

Koh Santepheap newspaper followed the Reasmei Kampuchea line, linking the murder

to revenge but concluding that "if the killings continue and the police make

no arrests... Phnom Penh will become the city of ghosts".

Its coverage of the Ranariddh trial was straightforward but it did devote some space

to Ranariddh's reaction, including his attack on Hun Sen and the court system.

Khmer Rouge radio skipped the basic facts of the case, concentrating instead on its

own inimitable "analysis", saying: "On March 4, in Phnom Penh the

yuon invaders and their puppet Hun Sen set up a show trial of Ranariddh who is the

legal Prime Minister."

Unsurprisingly, KR radio blamed Hun Sen for Sang's killing.

All the editors and managers spoken to by the Post said that they acted independently

and were not given any instructions on how to cover either story.

Television station officials also denied they were ordered to show a documentary

the night before the trial that featured footage of the Prince's supporters fighting

during the coup.

Kim Gunawadh, deputy director of National Television (TVK), said they played the

tape because viewers had requested it.

He said he was very surprised to find that other television stations - all six, in

fact - had decided to play exactly the same tape at exactly the same time.

However the director of Apsara TV, Ouk Pranthna, said that the tape was originally

from the Ministry of Information but had been distributed by TVK.

MOST VIEWED

  • Reuters: US Embassy fired 32 staff members for sharing pornography

    The United States Embassy in Phnom Penh has fired 32 non-diplomatic staff members who were allegedly caught exchanging pornographic images and video, including of minors, according to the news agency Reuters. Four sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters the content was shared in

  • Our 2018 guide to spending Khmer New Year in Phnom Penh

    Khmer New Year festivities are upon us. For the next few days, travellers will be making their way to their home provinces to eat, celebrate, play traditional games and visit a pagoda with offerings. If you will be staying put in Phnom Penh for the

  • US think tank warns of China's 'ulterior motives'

    A US think tank on Tuesday warned that spreading Chinese investment in the Indo-Pacific follows a pattern of leveraging geopolitical influence at the expense of the nations receiving investment, including Cambodia. The report looks at a sample of 15 Chinese port development projects, noting that the

  • More than three tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia seized in Mozambique

    A total of 3.5 tonnes of ivory reportedly bound for Cambodia was seized by authorities in Mozambique late last week, according to the NGO Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). CITES' information was based on a report from the