Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Khmer Rouge court to declassify documents from landmark case 001

Khmer Rouge court to declassify documents from landmark case 001

Khmer Rouge court to declassify documents from landmark case 001

Khmer Rouge tribunal judges have made public more than 1,700 documents collected during the investigation into the landmark first case against Kaing Guek Eav, alias Duch, the former chairman of the detention centre S-21.

The Supreme Court Chamber ruled that 1,749 previously “confidential” and “strictly confidential” documents would be declassified, the public affairs section announced yesterday.

The figure constitutes only a portion of the 12,000 that were under consideration by judges.

According to a statement released by the court, the now-public documents include the confessions of victims, witness statements and cadre biographies.

The remaining part of the trove are going into the case files of cases 002, 003 and 004, and will be reviewed at “the end of the proceedings to which they concurrently pertain”.

Tribunal spokeswoman Yuko Maeda said that an archival unit will go through each of the declassified documents to prep them for posting online, after which members of the public will have access through the website.

That process should take two to three weeks.

To contact the reporter on this story: Joseph Freeman at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Prince injured, wife dies after accident

    THE wife of former First Prime Minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, Ouk Phalla, 39, died while the prince was “severely” injured following a road accident in Preah Sihanouk province’s Prey Nub district on Sunday morning, officials said. Rananriddh, who is also the president of the Funcinpec

  • Guards protest dismissals, reject claims of sharing naked photos of child

    Some 20 former security guards at the US Embassy in Phnom Penh protested on Tuesday against their dismissal. They accused their employers of falsely claiming they had viewed and shared child pornography from their mobile phones as grounds for their termination. In total, 32 personnel were dismissed

  • We’re going to Wisney World!

    More than 6,000 mostly Chinese attendees witnessed the inauguration ceremony of a $1 billion Sihanoukville resort project called Wisney World in the capital on Wednesday. The event on Koh Pich, attended by several senior Cambodian government officials, is a joint venture between China’s AMC International and

  • Funcinpec urges probe into deadly Preah Sihanouk accident

    THE Funcinpec party has urged the government, especially the Ministry of Interior, to investigate the traffic accident in Preah Sihanouk province which left Prince Norodom Ranariddh badly injured and his wife Ouk Phalla dead. Funcinpec Vice President You Hokry told reporters at Botum Votey pagoda,