Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Khmer Rouge court hears of mass killing

Khmer Rouge court hears of mass killing

Khmer Rouge court hears of mass killing


In late April of 1975, victorious commanders from the guerrilla group that would come to be known as the Khmer Rouge summoned Pursat province military officials from the defeated regime to the provincial headquarters.

Wearing uniforms of the crushed Khmer Republic, which Lon Nol led after staging a coup in 1970, the assembled numbered up to 3,000.

Via a loudspeaker, the new Khmer Rouge overlords told them they had nothing to worry about, and that they would be re-integrated into the army. Some, they vowed, would even be given higher ranks.

“They left the meeting happy and undisturbed,” a court officer said yesterday, reading a description of the event that was added on Monday to the case load of the first mini-trial of Case 002.

What happened to the officials next, of course, had nothing to with promises made.

They were, according to the document read out in court, brought in caravans of 30 to 40 people to a killing site called Tuol Po Chrey, on an elevated piece of ground near the western shores of Tonle Sap.

Their hands were tied behind their backs.

“There were not enough trucks to transport all the victims at once, so a number of round trips had to be made,” the court officer said.

The soldiers were said to have spent the entire day shooting the Khmer Republic officials. They buried them in their uniforms in mass graves with the help of bulldozers. Extra bodies were dumped in a small lake nearby.

The execution site was, according to the allegations, operational from April, 1975 until some time in 1997.

Eliminating former Lon Nol civil servants, soldiers and police was part and parcel of the Khmer Rouge’s policy of creating a homogenous society free of the taint of the old regime.

The evidence contained instances when the three senior leaders on trial in Case 002, Nuon Chea, Khieu Samphan and Ieng Sary, showed an understanding of the policy of “targeting of specific groups”.

It also called attention to a party document released in September, 1975 that specified the only two types of classes — peasants and workers — allowed to exist in the new order.

But that wasn’t the last word on the matter. Today, co-accused Nuon Chea is supposed to respond to the allegations in the killing-site report.

To contact the reporter on this story: Joe Freeman at [email protected]

MOST VIEWED

  • Ministers to tackle sea pollutants

    Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities and members of local communities have collected 77 tonnes of water hyacinth at a Sihanoukville beach, Preah Sihanouk Provincial Hall spokesperson Or Saroeun said. He told The Post yesterday that the aquatic weeds had been floating along some of the province’s

  • Negotiations on EBA being held

    In an effort to defuse tensions, a senior government official said Cambodia is negotiating with the European Union (EU) on the Everything But Arms (EBA) trade deal, which allows the Kingdom to export goods to the 28-member bloc tariff-free. The EU notified Cambodia on October 5

  • EU timber deal in firing line

    A committee of more than 20 national and international organisations filed a petition to the EU on October 10 to prevent it from signing a timber trade agreement with Vietnam, noting that the deal would be disastrous to the Kingdom’s forests. The petition claims Vietnamese timber

  • Kim Sok to keep up fight ‘for change’ from Finland

    Kim Sok, wanted by the Kingdom’s authorities for defaming the government, reiterated on Sunday his determination to continue helping to make “a real change” to Cambodian politics after receiving asylum in Finland, even as a government spokesman mocked the political analyst over the development.