Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - ‘Kidnappers’ face up to 30 years in jail

‘Kidnappers’ face up to 30 years in jail

Seven Chinese nationals arrested over the kidnapping and imprisonment of three men pose for a photo at a military police station in Phnom Penh last week. Two of the suspects have since been released.
Seven Chinese nationals arrested over the kidnapping and imprisonment of three men pose for a photo at a military police station in Phnom Penh last week. Two of the suspects have since been released. Photo supplied

‘Kidnappers’ face up to 30 years in jail

Eight Chinese nationals are facing prison terms of 15 to 30 years each, after they were charged at Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday with kidnapping and illegally imprisoning three Chinese men and extorting money from their families.

“They were charged by the court’s prosecutor with illegal detention with aggravating circumstances,” Seng Vanak, a courthouse clerk, said yesterday. “They now have been sent to Prey Sar prison.”

Six of the eight suspects, who are all male and aged between 35 and 59, were arrested in the capital’s Meanchey and Chamkarmon districts on December 14 and 15, but two others have yet to be apprehended, according to Major Leng Song, of Phnom Penh military police.

“Police raided their rental houses in different places in Phnom Penh last week,” he said. “After the arrests, the military police rescued three Chinese victims.”

The kidnapped trio has since been reunited with their families, Song added.

The wives of three of the suspects were originally picked up with their husbands but released when it was determined they were not party to the crime.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Pesticide-laden cucumbers’ kill two, poison 150 in Banteay Meanchey

    At least two youths have died and 243 others are being treated for vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing difficulties, dizziness and muscle weakness after they ate cucumbers suspected to consist of pesticides. The incident happened on Saturday, said Banteay Meanchey provincial police chief Ath Khem. He told The

  • Three dead, 13 injured in collapse at Siem Reap pagoda

    At least three people were killed and more than 10 others injured on Monday after a dining hall under construction collapsed at Prasat Kokchak pagoda in Kokchak commune, Siem Reap province. Provincial police chief Tith Narong said Military Police, soldiers and local volunteers had successfully recovered 16

  • China Unicom enters Cambodia

    China Unicom, the country’s largest telecoms operator, has expanded into Cambodia to build optical telecommunication pathways in the Kingdom as part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI). The Hong Kong-listed company officially opened its China Unicom (Cambodia) subsidiary on Monday to become the

  • PP-SHV Expressway on track for completion in early 2023

    The construction of the $1.9 billion Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway, which broke ground at the end of March, is on track to be completed by early 2023, Ministry of Public Works and Transport spokesman Vasim Sorya said on Monday. The 190km high-speed highway linking the capital to the

  • Kingdom’s domestic milk still cannot compete with imports

    Price competition and a lack of confidence by consumers are the main reasons the dairy market cannot compete with imports, said domestic milk producers. The large displays of imported fresh milk at the Kingdom’s supermarkets present a cumbersome obstacle for local producers, they said.

  • Forest Harmony’s $18M luxury villas break ground in Kampot

    Local and French joint-venture Forest Harmony has broken ground on its $18 million “second-home” Luxury Holiday Villas project in Kampot province. Century 21 Mekong CEO and local shareholder of the project Chrek Soknim told The Post that the project will comprise 90 villa units covering 18ha on a 97