Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - King gives to victims of flood



King gives to victims of flood

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Supplies are handed out to victims of flooding in Koh Kong province on Tuesday. Photo supplied

King gives to victims of flood

More than 500 families affected by flooding in Koh Kong’s Sre Ambel district received supplies from King Norodom Sihamoni and Queen Mother Norodom Monineath on Tuesday, as it was announced that four districts in Ratanakkiri were flooded by waters from the surging Sesan River.

Kong Sam Ol, Deputy Prime Minister and Royal Palace Minister, speaking while delivering the aid, said the King and Queen Mother were eager to help the flood victims.

“The King thinks of his subjects all the time. The King and Queen Mother sent me here to deliver gifts to the 578 families after their farms, houses, animals and roads were flooded,” Ol said.

Koh Kong provincial governor Mithona Phouthorng said the province’s Mondul Seima, Thma Bang and Koh Kong districts had been affected by flooding for more than two weeks.

However, she said conditions in those three districts had improved and some people had already returned to their homes.

She said Sre Ambel district was the most affected, and the Cambodian Red Cross and relevant authorities had, after inspecting the situation, evacuated villagers to safety and provided supplies.

“No one lost their lives because of the flooding, but houses, crops, livestock and roads were inundated,” she said.

Each of the 578 families received 50kg of rice, 20 tins of canned food, two pieces of large plastic, T-shirts, two cases of instant noodles, other equipment, such as blankets and mats, and 40,000 riel ($10) in cash.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Water Resources said in statement that, as of Tuesday, waters from the Sesan River had inundated four districts in Ratanakkiri.

“The height of the Sesan River reached 9.34 metres, which exceeded flood levels by 1.34 metres. The excess water flooded Taveng, O’Yadav, Andong Meas and Veun Sai districts,” the statement said.

Thong Savon, the provincial governor, said on Tuesday that the authorities were evaluating the impact of the flooding.

According to the ministry’s statement on Tuesday, the water levels of the Sesan River had risen dramatically causing it to break its banks and flood people’s homes, leaving “villages badly inundated”.

The provincial authorities said they had evacuated people at risk to safe areas.

The National Committee for Disaster Management could not be reached for comment.

Meanwhile, as the Kingdom gears up for Sunday’s national elections, it was revealed on Tuesday that flooding had cut off roads in Tbong Khmum province’s Tbong Khmum district, making the transportation of ballots to a polling station difficult.

Sok Chhin, head of Tbong Khmum provincial Election Committee (PEC), said that although the flooding had submerged some roads in the district, they had not inundated any of the polling stations.

“Water affecting Peam Chilaing village did not affect the polling station because it is situated on the other side of the river,” he said.

Chhin said the PEC may be forced to use a boat to deliver the ballots to that particular polling station, although there are seven other polling stations in the village that are unaffected and could be used if it proves impossible to reach the stranded station.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants