Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - King orders new appeal court staff appointments



King orders new appeal court staff appointments

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
King Norodom Sihamoni has signed an order to appiont 18 new judges for the newly established regional appeal courts. Hean Rangsey

King orders new appeal court staff appointments

King Norodom Sihamoni has issued a royal decree ordering the appointment of 18 judges across the three newly established regional Appeal Courts.

Of the number, a set of six appeal court judges have each been appointed to Tbong Khmum, Battambang and Preah Sihanouk provinces.

The royal decree, signed by the King on March 19, ordered the appointment of Ty Samnang, a first-grade judge, and Riel Sophin, a first-grade prosecutor along with four Grade 3-4 judges as Tbong Khmum appeal court judges.

Grade 3 judges Y Kheang and Mong Mony Sophea, along with four Grade 3-4 judges and Grade 2-4 prosecutors were appointed as Battambang appeal court judges .

Suon Samnang, a Grade 5 Supreme Court judge and Yab Meta, a Grade 6 Supreme Court judge, along with four Grade 1, 3 and 4 judges and Grade 4 prosecutors were appointed as Preah Sihanouk appeal court judges.

On August 17, last year, the King issued a royal decree founding the Phnom Penh municipal, Tbong Khmum, Battambang and Preah Sihanouk provincial appeal courts.

On February 20, this year, he issued a royal decree ordering the appointment of the Grade 1 supreme court judge Mong Mony Chakrya as Tbong Khmum appeal court president and prosecutor Veng Bunthoeun as Tbong Khmum appeal court deputy president.

Judge Sam Bunthon was appointed Battambang appeal court president and Judge Thou Mony as Battambang appeal court deputy president.

Judge Pak Chan Sambo was appointed Preah Sihanouk appeal court deputy president. The position of president remains vacant.

In his decree, the King also ordered the appointment of 12 prosecutor-generals, deputy prosecutor-generals and prosecutors for the regional appeal courts.

He also ordered 32 vice-presidents and judges and 15 prosecutors and deputy prosecutors to be transferred and appointed to the lower courts, the Phnom Penh Municipal Court and as provincial prosecutors across the country.

Ministry of Justice spokesman Chin Malin told The Post on February 23 that the three regional appeal courts would begin operations from April 1.

“Officials are appointed based on qualifications, experience, capacity and relevant educational background to ensure they are tailored to their roles and duties.

“The Supreme Council of Magistracy has decided on all appointments after lengthy discussions regarding the candidate’s reputation and capacity,” he said.

He said the founding of the appeal courts was to improve public accessibility.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year