Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kingdom counts 18 dead from Mekong floods

Kingdom counts 18 dead from Mekong floods

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
A woman looks out over a flooded alley near the Mekong river in Kandal province’s Ksach Kandal district. Heng Chivoan

Kingdom counts 18 dead from Mekong floods

At least 18 people in the Kingdom have died and more than 40,000 families impacted by the Mekong River flooding this season, National Committee for Natural Disaster spokesman Keo Vy, told The Post on Monday.

He said floodwaters in the five riverside provinces of Tbong Khmum, Kampong Cham, Stung Treng and Prey Veng had reached alarmingly high levels.

“At least 18 people have died. Kampong Cham has seen 10 drowned. The water levels of the Sesan and Sekong rivers have reached the alert point,” he said.

Vy said normally they experience Mekong floods up to three times per year. Overall water levels, however, depended largely on rain and weather patterns.

On Thursday, Preah Sihanouk Governor Yun Min distributed five tonnes of rice seeds to 113 families who lived in the province’s Veal and Thmey villages.

“The distribution of rice seeds allows people to have enough for cultivation during the rainy season,” Min said.

He said the seeds were of a special type that could be harvested in only 105 days.

July flooding this year has damaged the more than 50 hectares of crops in Preah Sihanouk province’s Kampong Seila district.

The Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology on Monday claimed the water level of the Mekong river in Kratie province had reached 22.11 metres, surpassing the alert point. The water is now seeping into the province’s sewage system.

“Kratie province’s water resources department installed mid-size movable water pumps to transfer the floodwaters from the city sewage system into Romleach lake,” the Ministry of Water Resources said.

MOST VIEWED

  • PM imposes nationwide Covid restrictions, curfew over Delta scare

    Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28 instructed the municipal and provincial authorities nationwide to strictly enforce Covid-19 measures including curfew for two weeks from July 29 midnight through August 12 to stem the new coronavirus Delta variant. The instruction came shortly after he issued a directive

  • Two luxury hotels latest quarantine options for inbound travellers

    The Inter-Ministerial Committee to Combat Covid-19 has designated two luxury hotels as alternative quarantine options for travellers who wish to enter Cambodia through Phnom Penh International Airport – Sokha Phnom Penh Hotel & Residence and the Courtyard by Marriott Phnom Penh. In a notice detailing guidelines issued

  • Provinces on Thai borders put in lockdown amid Delta fears

    The government has decided to place several border provinces in lockdown for two weeks in a bid to prevent the new coronavirus Delta variant spreading further into community. According a directive signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen late on July 28, the provinces include Koh Kong,

  • China denies Mekong hacking

    As the US and its allies joined hands last week to expose what they allege to be China’s Ministry of State Security’s malicious cyber activities around the world, the attention also turned to Cambodia with the US Department of Justice claiming that four

  • US' Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines arrive

    The first batch of 455,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine donated by the US touched down in Phnom Penh on the morning of July 30. They are part of the total 1,060,100 doses the US has pledged to provide to Cambodia through the World Health Organisation-led (

  • Governor: Covid subsides in capital

    Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng said the Covid-19 situation in the capital’s 14 districts has eased, with only two districts still recording a high number of infections. “Transmission cases in all districts are dropping, though they are relatively higher Meanchey and Por Sen Chey.