Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - KNLF member asks for reduced sentence



KNLF member asks for reduced sentence

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Hin Chan, a member of the Khmer National Liberation Front, is led into the Supreme Court on Wednesday. Pha Lina

KNLF member asks for reduced sentence

A member of the banned Khmer National Liberation Front (KNLF) asked the Supreme Court on Wednesday to reduce his jail term to five years from seven, claiming he did not know that the KNLF was a terrorist group.

Hin Chan, 36, told the court he was not aware the group had been labelled a terrorist organisation by the government.

“I joined the KNLF in Thailand because I learned new things and wanted to implement them and contribute something to the nation. I did not know what I did went against the government,” Chan said in testimony to the court panel, presided by Judge Kong Srim.

Chan was arrested in Cambodia while distributing KNLF booklets and other material. He had travelled from Thailand with a forged passport. He was sentenced to seven years for conspiracy to overthrow the government and forgery of a public document.

“I brought the booklets along because I wanted to share the information in them. But the government said this activity is wrong. I would like the court to lower my sentence to five years because the people I so believed in had ‘ill-intended minds’.

“If I had known that before, I would not have gone against the heroic achievements of Samdech Hun Sen,” Chan said.

His lawyers, Sam Sokong and Sous Vannak, said because their client did not know the KNLF was a terrorist organisation, he couldn’t have intended to overthrow the government.

Nevertheless, the prosecutor, Uk Kimsith, said Chan had participated in several seminars in Bangkok organised by Sam Serey, the KNLF leader who was sentenced in 2016 to nine years in prison for conspiracy.

The verdict is due to be delivered next Monday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting

  • Cambodia gears up for muted New Year festival

    The recent curfew and restrictions imposed in the capital and other Covid-19 hotspots were intended to break the chain of transmission, Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said as municipal and provincial authorities issued new directives banning certain activities during the upcoming Khmer New Year

  • Covid-19 vaccination now obligatory

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on April 11 issued a sub-decree making Covid-19 vaccination compulsory for individuals unless they have a medical certificate proving they have pre-existing health conditions that prevent them from doing so. «This applies to all members of the armed forces and civil servants