Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Koh Kong protesters’ ministry visit blocked



Koh Kong protesters’ ministry visit blocked

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Protesters from Koh Kong walk along a road after being prevented from reaching the Land Management Ministry on Monday. Licadho

Koh Kong protesters’ ministry visit blocked

Authorities on Monday stopped 10 truckloads of Koh Kong province residents from driving to the Ministry of Land Management by blocking the road to Phnom Penh, representatives of the group claim.

Growing impatient with the slow resolution to their long-running land dispute, the protesters, representing some 500 families, once again attempted to appeal to the Ministry of Land Management to resolve the matter.

Choem Sreythuon, a representative for the protesters from Koh Kong’s Sre Ambel district, said she had rented 10 trucks to ferry 300 people to the ministry.

“But 10 military policemen, accompanied by Suon Sitha, the deputy governor of Sre Ambel district, stopped our convoy and ordered us not to travel to Phnom Penh,” she said.

The protesters, she said, only wanted to urge the Land Ministry to act quickly on their dispute after Koh Kong provincial authorities had not been in contact since collecting information from the families.

She accused the provincial authorities of not sending the information they had collected to the ministry.

“We asked the Koh Kong provincial authorities for an update, but they have not responded, so we decided to go to the Ministry of Land Management once again so that we can receive an official response to our requests,” Sreythuon said.

A protestor, Iem Phon, 50, said the land dispute had been ongoing for over 10 years and affects 537 families in nine villages involving four communes, but 300 families have not received any resolution, he claimed. Phon expressed frustration with the situation and appealed to Prime Minister Hun Sen for assistance.

“I am disappointed that the provincial authorities don’t seem bothered to resolve our dispute. They do not mind the people walking hundreds of kilometres to the Ministry of Land Mangement. Samdech [Hun Sen] please help to end this dispute.”

Seng Lot, a spokesman at the Ministry of Land Management, and Tep Thorn, its undersecretary could not be reached for comment on Monday.

Phouthong Mithona, Koh Kong provincial governor, also could not be reached for comment, but last month, she said she was seeking a solution by early June.

“In line with the ministry’s recommendation, the Koh Kong provincial administration has created a joint committee for an end to the land dispute by early June this year,” she said.

MOST VIEWED

  • Phnom Penh placed in two-week lockdown

    The government has decided to place Phnom Penh in lockdown for two weeks, effective April 14 midnight through April 28, as Cambodia continues to grapple with the ongoing community outbreak of Covid-19, which has seen no sign of subsiding. According to a directive signed by Prime Minister

  • Cambodia on the verge of national tragedy, WHO warns

    The World Health Organisation (WHO) in Cambodia warned that the country had reached another critical point amid a sudden, huge surge in community transmission cases and deaths. “We stand on the brink of a national tragedy because of Covid-19. Despite our best efforts, we are

  • Hun Sen: Stay where you are, or else

    Prime Minister Hun Sen warned that the two-week lockdown of Phnom Penh and adjacent Kandal provincial town Takmao could be extended if people are not cooperative by staying home. “Now let me make this clear: stay in your home, village, and district and remain where

  • Vaccination open to foreigners in Cambodia

    The Ministry of Health on April 8 issued an announcement on Covid-19 vaccination for foreigners residing and working in Cambodia, directing the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training and local authorities to register them. Health minister Mam Bun Heng, who is also head of the inter-ministerial

  • Ministry names types of business permitted amid lockdown

    The Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training singled out 11 types of business that are permitted to operate during the lockdown of Phnom Penh and Takmao town, which run through April 28. Those include (1) food-processing enterprises and slaughterhouses; (2) providers of public services such as firefighting, utility and

  • Culture ministry: Take Tuol Sleng photos down, or else

    The Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts has told Irish photographer Matt Loughrey to take down the photos of Khmer Rouge victims at Tuol Sleng Genocidal Museum which he allegedly colourised and altered to show them smiling. The ministry said Loughrey's work is unacceptable, affecting