Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Koh Kong protesters seek return of disputed land

Koh Kong protesters seek return of disputed land

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Some 500 Koh Kong province villagers, who have been locked in a 12-year land dispute with a sugar company owned by tycoon Ly Yong Phat, protested in front of the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction on Wednesday. Heng Chivoan

Koh Kong protesters seek return of disputed land

Some 500 Koh Kong province villagers, who have been locked in a 12-year land dispute with a sugar company owned by tycoon Ly Yong Phat, protested in front of the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction on Wednesday, demanding the ministry help return their land.

Heng Sokun, one of the protesters, told The Post on Wednesday that she had come to the capital to see what Minister of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction Chea Sophara had done regarding previous petitions they submitted.

She said the conflict began in 2006 when the Phnom Penh Sugar Company, owned by prominent tycoon Yong Phat, evicted the villagers from their land, destroyed their homes and prohibited them from farming on their land.

“We have occupied the area since 2002. Some have even lived there since 1995. In 2006, the Koh Kong Sugar Company cleared and destroyed many of the agricultural crops on the farms."

“I would like the ministry to return the land back to us and offer compensation for past damages,” Sokun said.

During the protest, negotiations were held between 12 village representatives and ministry officials.

The protesters hail from three districts in Koh Kong – Botum Sakor, Sre Ambel and Thma Bang.

Backgound check

While more than 500 villagers came to Phnom Penh on Wednesday, the conflict involves some 1,247 families. The dispute concerns more than 3,000ha of land.

Tith Kun, 46, one of the villagers, said that after the discussions the villagers agreed to return home, but said if there was no swift resolution they would return and protest.

Ministry spokesman Seng Lout told The Post an agreement was reached as a result of negotiations with the villagers’ representatives, in which they agreed to return to Koh Kong and cooperate with local authorities to verify their identities and check their backgrounds.

“The mechanism to solve [this issue] is in place. We need to work from the bottom by working directly with local people to understand the whole situation,” Lout said.

Koh Kong provincial governor Phouthong Mithona was unavailable for comment on Wednesday.

MOST VIEWED

  • Chinese nationals on the decline in Sihanoukville?

    It is no secret that real estate prices in Sihanoukville have been on the rise over the last few years due to the influx of Chinese nationals. Their arrival has brought investment in the real estate, construction, hotel and casino sectors, as well as small

  • PP massage parlours raided, 29 suspects held for prostitution

    The Phnom Penh municipal Military Police on Sunday raided four massage parlours in Por Sen Chey district and detained 29 suspects for questioning over their alleged involvement in prostitution. Deputy municipal Military Police commander Pu Davy on Monday said the four massage parlours were located near

  • PM: All 10 Asean countries to receive Rainsy arrest warrants

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said on Thursday that all 10 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) member states will receive warrants for the arrest of Sam Rainsy. The warrants have already been sent to Laos and Thailand. He was speaking at a joint press conference at

  • Overtourism still threatens Angkor Wat

    Ticket sales to the Angkor temples are down. An Angkor Enterprise report has revealed that ticket sales to the Angkor Archaeological Park dropped by more than 11 per cent from the same period last year. Prime Minister Hun Sen isn’t concerned. He told journalists that