Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Kok Kong villagers accept government land deal



Kok Kong villagers accept government land deal

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Villagers from Koh Kong province protested in the capital over the weekend. Pha Lina

Kok Kong villagers accept government land deal

Villagers from Koh Kong province have accepted compensation and returned home after protesting in the capital over the weekend, according to the provincial governor.

Koh Kong Provincial Governor Mithona Phouthorng said representatives of 317 families, who previously rejected land they were given as too rocky, have now made a deal. She said the lottery for the plots has already started.

Phouthorng met with villagers on Friday at Samakey Rangsey pagoda in Phnom Penh.

“They accepted the compensation in the form of land and cash. Now they will return to the province. They accepted the lottery for the land. It takes time to complete such deals, we need all the villagers to participate,” she said.

Choem Sreythoun, 30, from Koh Kong’s Sre Ambel district said she protested for three days in the capital and claimed the deal was made for the lack of an alternative solution.

“We are being practical in that we have no other choice or solution. And it is nearly the election. The provincial governor promised to make a road for us. I am not happy about it because the land I really want is just one kilometre away from my house, but now my land is five kilometres away,” she said.

Another villager from Sre Ambel, 45-year-old Ly Chanratha, said: “We thought [the land] was a waste of time for earning a living. The governor came to talk with us in Phnom Penh.

“She talked for more than two hours and urged us to accept the compensation. We finally agreed to accept it,” he said.

MOST VIEWED

  • ‘Kingdom one of safest to visit in Covid-19 era’

    The Ministry of Tourism on January 12 proclaimed Cambodia as one of the safest countries to visit in light of the Kingdom having been ranked number one in the world by the Senegalese Economic Prospective Bureau for its success in handling the Covid-19 pandemic. In rankings

  • Ministry mulls ASEAN+3 travel bubble

    The Ministry of Tourism plans to launch a travel bubble allowing transit between Cambodia and 12 other regional countries in a bid to resuscitate the tourism sector amid crushing impact of the ongoing spread of Covid-19, Ministry of Tourism spokesman Top Sopheak told The Post on

  • Kingdom accepts Chinese vaccine, PM first to get jab

    Prime Minister Hun Sen said China would offer Cambodia an immediate donation of one million doses of the Covid-19 vaccine produced by the Sinopharm company. In an audio message addressing the public on the night of January 15, he said Cambodia has accepted the offer and

  • Reeling in Cambodia’s real estate sector

    A new norm sets the scene but risks continue to play out in the background A cold wind sweeps through the streets of Boeung Trabek on an early January morning as buyers and traders engage in commerce under bright blue skies. From a distance, the

  • Quarantine site in north Phnom Penh inaugurated

    A four-building quarantine centre in Phnom Penh’s Prek Pnov district was formally inaugurated on January 6. The centre can house up to 500 people, according to Phnom Penh municipal governor Khuong Sreng. At the inauguration ceremony, Sreng said the municipal hall had cooperated with the Ministry

  • ‘Beware of WhatsApp fraudsters’

    The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications warned members of the public who use WhatsApp to vigilantly guard against a new trick employed by hackers that involves the use of six-digit codes sent to potential victims via the popular messaging app. The ministry said hackers could